MPB 15" - Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nutdotnet, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Nutdotnet macrumors member

Has anyone heard of anything coming down the pipeline? I've been looking at the $1799 option for sometime now...just curious if I should hold off or pull the trigger.

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They were updated only 4 months ago so there won't be an update any time soon

3. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

That's what I thought.

Thanks!

4. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

You don't sound like you need one .... no offense

Not entirely true, remember they updated the Notebooks in October in 2008 then at MacWorld 2009 they got another refresh. (That was within a 3 month span)

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

October 2008 refresh was for 13" and 15" and the January 2009 refresh was for 17".

6. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Your right, but they did give it a slight spec bump right? Cause thats when the 13" turned Pro with capabilities of 8GB Ram across the entire line, also the processors were bumped up to, even the MBA got a bump at that MacWorld

7. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Care to explain? I don't see how you're qualified to make a statement like that.

8. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

First off please dont be offended :)......

Now to answer your question, people who ask these types of questions 9/10 don't need a new computer.

Like it was mentioned by HH they were just refreshed 4 months ago, the earliest refresh would be Oct 2010 if not the obviously 2011.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You are confusing the MacWorld to WWDC. MacWorld '09 was only for 17" MBP and then some stuff like iWork and iLife. In March, the 15" got a minor spec bump (133MHz faster CPUs and ability for 8GB of RAM) but that's not listed as an update. In June 2009, the 13" became "Pro" and that was more significant update but it had already been 8 months since the last refresh.

10. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

YEAHHHHHH THATS RIGHT! :D I forgot about WWDC, thanks man ;)

11. Nutdotnet thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I think I'm a little to us to "forum banter" where people prefer to be rude rather than being helpful. Haha!

Anyway - I currently have a HP HDX 16 w/ a P8400 processor. It's actually a fine machine except it is two years old and has a design flaw which causes the screen (or infinity glass as hp calls it) to get scratched and scuffed.

I purchased a MacBook for my daughter for school and fell in love with it. So I've been keeping my eye on the MBP for the last month. Hence - why I put up this question.

I can wait to purchase if something is coming down the way, but if there isn't then....jumping on something now may be the way to go.

Thanks!