MPB 15 Unibody battery repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jmartin2004, May 1, 2010.

1. jmartin2004 macrumors newbie

Hi people, I am relatively new to the Mac's and this problem is disappointing me. My Macbook Pro 15" Unibody with the Xpreescard slot is showing me the Repair battery message. It's only 14 months old 153 cycles but shows 3.031 mAh and the iStat says 66% life. I have calibrated and reset the SMC but keeps saying the same "Repair Battery". Any suggestions? It really sucks if I have to change the battery so soon. Thanks for the help

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Do you have Applecare?

Even if you don't, I would see about making an appointment with a genius, or calling apple and complaining. They insist that the batteries are good for 1,000 charges and retaining 80% of their capacity. Yours has degraded beyond that in just 15% of its supposed rated lifetime.

I would definitely push for a replacement. Be calm, and be polite, but be firm.

FWIW: I had a similar issue with the non-unibody macBook pro. They replaced the battery, but that one was removable so it wasn't as big a deal. Mine was under warranty though.

3. jmartin2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine is the removable battery model but is out of warranty. I am living outside the USA and I don't know if the apple stores here Venezuela will take care of this issue because I bought the MBP in the US. Thanks for the reply

4. jmartin2004 thread starter macrumors newbie

I call Apple and they will replace the battery for free. I just have to send the old battery back before 10 days of receiving the new one. Definitely Apple stands behind it's products even after the warranty runs out. They have a new loyal customer

5. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Good for you! they have excellent customer service :)