MPB 15 vs 17 . upgrade questions and portability

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcx3, Jan 11, 2009.

1. dcx3 macrumors member

Planned on getting a 15" MBP but now with the 17 recently out, I really don't know what to get.

With my education discounts and choosing the options of a 7200rpm HD to the 2.53 15" it is about $100 less than the 17" with the software I want.

I need the laptop for video and photo editing as well as basic tasks. I have an iBook so I am used to its size portability, however I use the notebook at home primarily, usually on my lap not on a desk.

Never owned a 17" and not sure exactly how big they are. Are there advantages to going with the 17" since it is not that much more. I feel 4gb of ram is plenty enough in the 15" but in 4 years will it be enough or will the 17" with up to 8gb be good? im borderline so your input would be great.

Anyone with 17" would be great to hear what your input is.

2. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

I have not "owned" a 17 inch but I do own a 15 and have used a held a 17 inch apple computer.

You will notice a difference between the two. Its not a small detail.

The obvious advantage is the size of the screen and more ram and battery life of the new 17inch computer, but you give up portability, and customization. So ask yourself the question, what ones mean the most.

If you will always keep it at home and never are going to be lugging it around daily, then hey the new 17 looks like a sweet buy. Just weigh your options.

I cant say how 17inch laptops feel in your lap though, I wish I could use one for a week or so in lap use. To see if it feels bulky. Because 15 inch MBP is perfect for lap use.

3. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

I usually will use the laptop while sitting on the couch or chair doing homework or surfing the internet. I have a gateway desktop with a 21" monitor that I can hook up the MBP to.

I take my laptop with me when I go places on trips or visit friends houses.

I think the 17" although nice, it may be too big and uncomfortable to set on my lap all the time.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I use my 17" MBP on the train to work all the time, in planes, on the sofa around the house, and i dont have any problems with its weight at all, its only 6.6lbs, and the added screen size is a massive bonus, if you can afford it comfortably then i would say get it, if not then just stick with the 15".

5. Rup macrumors newbie

I Have a 17 MBP and my brother a 15 MBP. As the 17 is very thin and light compared to most pc 17 laptops i definately think the extra screen size is worth the small extra weight.
    The alternative is to get an external monitor and a 15 MBP but still overall prefer the 17.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I have a 17 inch and have transported it on trains and planes. I would get a 17 inch if it is going to be your main computer - which it sounds like it would. It is a bit more cumbersome to carry around and you certainly won't be able to open it on a plane (certainly not in economy) as it's too big. However, for short distance carrying it won't be a problem and the additional screen size is something you won't regret.

7. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

im still torn. I wish the 17" would ship sooner than it does. Not having them in person to compare I don't know what portability will be like.

I guess since I have an external monitor the 15" would be fine.

still on the fence though.

8. BG-Mac macrumors 6502

I'm in the same situation as you are. Buy 15 now or wait for the 17. I can't decide!! I need a computer now, but don't want to regret my decision once the 17 arrives in stores.

9. dcx3 thread starter macrumors member

exactly. I feel either way I will be wishing I had the other, so its inevitable. Although the 17" seems like it'll be too big, I wish the 15 could handle more ram should I decide to upgrade it in the future.

10. EspressoLove macrumors 6502

EspressoLove

Though I never had 17, yet having both 15MBP & 13MB - I'm spending 99% of my time on MB - can not stand 15" - only kept it hoping it would grow on me ....
    (And I get enough of exercise thank you very much)

So, I say - only get 17" if you absolutely certain you need it.
    If in doubt most certainly it's not your cup ...

11. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

If you can wait a little longer do so. Your wait time will go quickly. Buyers remorse wont....

12. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

I think your going to regret not getting the 17 inch computer, sounds like to me you have made up your mind.

13. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The new 17" is the same as the old one in terms of dimensions and weight.