MPB 2.16 10.6.8 DVI problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luc2012, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Luc2012 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm using the external iiyama 24" lcd with my MBP.

Today my laptop stopped detecting the monitor; blue screen and monitor goes to sleep.

I checked Detect Displays no results in System Preferences/Displays.

I plugged the lcd to another laptop via Hdmi-Hdmi and all ok.

I also re-installed system on my Mac.

Can you pls help me ? Is it the Dvi / motherboard issue ?

What else could i check ? I have an eye problem and need to use bigger screen.

Thank you.

2. Inside_line macrumors regular

Most monitors that have multiple inputs usually try to auto-detect the source. I would disable this and just set the input to the exact input that your using. With your laptop open, on and running, plug in the external monitor.

If this doesn't work, maybe try the mac with a different monitor. Definitely sounds like the mac is your problem, although I suppose you could have a problem on the dvi port of your monitor I think that's less likely.

3. Luc2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Inside_line

Thank you for the reply.

When i plugged the monitor the screen is blue and i can only switch between D-Sub and Hdmi as source. I can't get into Lcd menu. Should i try it with another laptop as the monitor was working with Windows based Dell via Hdmi/Hdmi.

I also tried to connect my laptop to Projector but still no signal detected.

Regards.

4. Inside_line macrumors regular

Sounds like your using a DVI->VGA adapter for the monitor. Are you using the same adapter for the projector? If so, that adapter may be your problem, or it could actually be the VGA cable... I"ve seen those go bad before (even a DVI cable can go bad).

Just keep swapping stuff until you have a pile of known good components, and eventually the faulty part will be revealed. A quick solution may be to buy a DVI->HDMI adapter and try that with the monitor. That will tell you immediately if it's the laptop.