MPB 2nd hdd. Which partition format?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Aug 10, 2013.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hi there!

Im about to install a second hdd in my mbp 2012 and I was wondering how I should format it so I can use both windows and osx.

The 1st drive has windows via bootcamp and osx. But for the second drive, I just wanted to be able to access the data from both OS, since Ill not store programs there but files only.

Should I go with exFat?

2. Lord Xeb macrumors member

You should use exFAT, however, if you are running bootcamp, bootcamp installs the drivers required for windows to read and write to HFS+ formated drives. If that is the case, then I would format it to HFS+ and give it a go. If not, go to exFAT.

3. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm so both should work. But which one is better?

4. Lord Xeb macrumors member

HFS+ is better.

5. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright but now I got really curious. What are the differences between them? What makes hfs+ better?

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The Windows support software only provides read access to HFS+. The only way it can write is if you're accessing an HFS+ drive connected to an Airport Extreme or Time Capsule. As with writing to an NTFS drive in OS X, you need 3rd-party software to write to HFS+ in Windows.

You can use exFAT as a "native" solution. If you go this route, do not format the drive using Disk Utility in OS X. Format the partition in Windows, selecting exFAT and using a cluster size of 1024. This helps avoid data corruption that can occur when copying large files to an exFAT partition in OS X.

7. Lord Xeb macrumors member

Hm... I learned something new :D Kudos

8. scbond macrumors 6502

If you just want to be able to have basic access from Windows then go with HFS+ and use the drivers made by Apple for Windows for this very situation.

9. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, so If I want a seamless experience, like everything was just one OS, I should go with exfat formatted by windows, cluster 1024. Is that it? Will I be missing something?

10. Lord Xeb macrumors member

Or you can format the drive to HFS+ and buy Mac Drive for windows. It is what I am using on my Hackintosh and works great.

11. Quadra700 macrumors newbie

Quadra700

if you want to get to the windows data from within osx then you can just go ntfs for the windows drive and use macfuse in osx to read / write to it.

Cheers,

12. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys wait, why are you telling me to go hfs+ or even ntfs if exfat is fine? Why would I go through the hassle of installing other programs when apparently I can just naturally use exfat?

13. Quadra700 macrumors newbie

Quadra700

i just find it handy to have fuse installed in case i ever plug an external drive in that`s ntfs, nice, easy and not an issue but exfat is fine anyway. They are just suggestions. Options are always good ;)

Cheers,

14. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, just one more thing: the cluster file size should be 1024 bytes or kilobytes?

ALSO, should I format my flash drives (8gb, 16gb) the same way or in this case I could leave it to "default size"?

15. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Just use default size. I don't see how a smaller block size should help anything. Default is 4KB and that is what HDDs usually want. Anything else need some funky emulation.
    On a big file the difference between 1kB and 4kB won't matter. Just more overhead and worse performance.

16. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

now are you referring to the hdd partition or the flash drives?

17. dusk007, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Both.
    HDD's since they moved to 4k formatting expect 4kB and nand flash of the last years usually has 4kB page sizes.
    Even if you would format to something lower the nand doesn't actually understand how to write anything smaller than 4096 Bytes at once. It is just pointless to set anything smaller. Old Flash sticks used 2KB but I think none today still do.
    An HDD is the same it is optimzed to work with 4KB chunks of data. If you give it something smaller it just pretends that it can handle that. It is not optimal and only because of some old operating systems they can even still do that.
    Smaller clusters than 4kB really serve no purpose. Bigger doesn't really help either though.

18. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright. Thanks! So I shouldnt worry at all about this?

19. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

No it is nonsense. exFAT has always the risk of data corruption (that is why there TexFAT) when transferring large files but 1kB clusters won't let that problem magically disappear. Unless one considers 4kb big files "large". ;)

But really you that isn't a problem with just an internal data drive. Even if a problem pops up on a large transfer. Just redo it and repair the FAT. In most cases the OS will do that byitself or recommend doing it. Don't bother.