MPB battery problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guids, May 31, 2008.

1. Guids macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    My MBP battery is acting strange. After 7 month i noticed that my battery health had dropped from 99% to 84%. Istat pro and coconut battery both gave the same info.

After some research i came up with this site
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490
    it tells how to calibrate your battery. And from other user experiences it should benefit the battery health.

So I fully charged the battery, and let it run down to 0% or so (the battery health was still 84%). waited for about 5 hours, and began to charge the battery.

Now I opened my dashboard and I saw from istat pro that de Battery health instantly dropped from 84% to 69%! I just saw it happen in a split second.

Now its stuck on 69%. tried to restart the mbp, but that did not work.

What should I do?

note: I am at 201 cycles

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

thats completely normal

when you had youre mbp, you didnt calibrate the battery so it didnt know how healthy it was and made an estimate

when you calibrated it, the battery knew exactly how healthy it was, and so youre health dropped to the actual level

accept it, or buy a new one

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Call Apple or stop by your local store.

If below 80% and less that 300 cycles, Apple typically replaces with little hassle. Your battery is less than a year old, and you shouldn't be having such poor performance.

4. Guids thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for the quick reply. i also dit de SMC check. also didnt work

brr... never thought about it that way. i am afraid you are right

@scienide09
    I will also do that first thing on mondays, thanks for the advice. wouldnt have know that about the 300 cycles

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

do you reckon ill get a new one in a few weeks? (when battery has dropped a bit more)
    [​IMG]

6. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Your health is pretty low for your load cycles. It is all about taking care of the battery for it to last.

Attached Files:

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can probably get one now the way it is.

8. philgilder macrumors 68000

how do you have such high health??

9. jonathandodson macrumors newbie

The battery is only covered under the first year limited warranty and from my experience with laptop batteries in general I would try to replace it no matter what before that year ends.

That way you should get at least 2 good years out of your battery which is what a consumer should be able to expect.

10. Guids thread starter macrumors newbie

you can't just say, give me a new battery (even when its health is "ok")

11. Screwball macrumors regular

I've got a Penryn MBP, that's turning a month old in a few days! The battery health was never 100% to start with, but in the last couple of days it's declining with swift pace! It's 95% now! What to do now? I've done calibration twice, no effect whatsoever! It certainly shouldn't be 95% after 3 and a half weeks, should it, now..?

12. emoh macrumors member

I am in the same shoe as you, purchased in mid march, 85 cycles count 91%. Not going anyway near 97%. :(

Even my Powerbook after 3 years of usage, is at 91% now! geez.....

13. Screwball macrumors regular

Do you plan to take it in, or something? Cause with the pace mine's declining, the battery health surely won't stay above 80% before 300 cycles..so i'm thinking maybe i should do something about it