MPB battery problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Metzgermeister, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Metzgermeister macrumors member

Metzgermeister

For some time I'm also experiencing some problems with my MBP battery. The MBP is form summer 2007 and so the battery is only 1.5 years old.

When the battery is fully charged and I unplug the charger and continue workin before then in 10/15 minutes without any warning it goes of completely, no sleepmode or anything. Trying to switch it on again on battery power only lasts for 20 seconds. After connecting the charger the battery has 0% left.
    I must admit that most of the times I use the MBP while connected to the charger, it shouldn't matter does it? :confused:

Anybody else experiencing the same problems with the mid 2007 MBP battery?:(:(

2. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

3. Metzgermeister thread starter macrumors member

Metzgermeister

jlocalled, thnx for your reply!
    I checked System profiler, it says it only had 22 cycles. The widget I use shows the battery health, this goes from 8% health left to 49%.
    Because I got my MBP in july 2007 I assume they battery does not belong to the affected serie. Anyway I was also thinking about calling Applecare, even though the warranty expired I still believe the battery should last longer then 1.5 years.

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

no, AppleCare warrants teh battery for 1 year after purchase. After that its anyone's game.

But give applecare a call. Often times they will exchange it. Do not bring it to an apple store, they wont help you.

5. Metzgermeister thread starter macrumors member

Metzgermeister

exactly, that is also my plan... I am now calibrating the battery again, just to be sure. I'm now running on battery power, let's see if I have enough time to finish this.
    I bought this MBP online, so that makes it easier to call apple direct. They have everything on file.
    Personally I find it unacceptable a battery breaks down in less then 2 years. A Replacement costs $129.00, At the apple site it's not being rated to high either. It only gets 2 out of 5 stars based on over 500 reviews.... That must mean something

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Call Apple and they'll replace it for you. It's probably a bad battery. How many cycles has your battery gone through? If it's under 300 apple will replace it :).

7. Metzgermeister thread starter macrumors member

Metzgermeister

I must say that I don't use the MBP on battery power too many often. Mostly I use it with the charger. And if it runs on the battery then it is for a short time only. I suppose this isn't bad for the battery.
    So I only have 22 cycles, I just tried again and it lasted 25 minutes. I went from 85% battery life to 43% in less then a minute and at 39% it was over, no warnings or sleep mode, just completely off.
    Let's see what apple has got to say....

8. nutman macrumors regular

It is bad for the battery. The battery is meant to be used. At least let it drain once every two three weeks. If you take it to apple, they will give you a new one if it fails this test they run on the battery. I took mine in a week ago, it had under 200 cycles and wasnt holding a charge. On the battery test they ran, it showed that one of the sectors had failed.