MPB Choice for a Student?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lopez.T.H., Jan 15, 2009.

1. Lopez.T.H. macrumors regular

I've been accepted to the college of my choice, so now I think its time to think of a portable to bring around with me on campus. Now, I don't plan on buying the actual computer until late May-ish, but getting an idea soon would be great for me and my parents who will be helping me foot a little bit of the bill. I've already weighed the choices of PC vs Mac, and decided I'll take the switch over. Now, I suppose a list of things I would be using the computer for would help :)

Video and Photo Editing,
    Storing my 75GB+ Music Collection
    Basic School things, Word Processing, Powerpoint Slideshows
    BootCamp with windows to pop in for a little bit of gaming once and a while.

I've decided that the base 15 inch model should be just fine. But if anyone has anything else to add, or praise my decision :D feel free.

2. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Perfect choice, you will not regret it. Perfect size and power for your needs. The MBP can handle those task with ease.

I wouldn't go to any lower model. Your set.

3. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

I would go the upgraded MBP if you can. It has 512MB VRAM instead of 256, which isn't upgradable in the future since you will be gaming. It also has a bit faster of a processor, probably nothing you will notice but it will give you piece of mind that you have the top of the line model. It comes with the larger HDD and more RAM, overall the 2.53GHz is a good run for your money. Also the extra 2GB of RAM will help with gaming and running Windows more efficiently (if you add this later on it will run you about $150 putting you at the $2200 mark already). The 2.53GHz model also has 6MB Cache over 3MB on the 2.4Ghz model.

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Three things...

1) Don't underestimate weight/size. The MBP is a powerhouse that functions (more or less) as a desktop replacement. If you plan to leave the thing (locked) to your desk, then no problemo. However, if you want to lug that thing around campus, you should anticipate a few hardcover books being in your bag as well. From personal experience, I find anything above 4lb to be uncomfortable for travel.

2) Look into the developer discounts. Apparently, if you're registered at an accredited college/university, you can get a one-time developer discount on a single machine. The savings, I've heard, are quite substantial with the MBP. Sorry I can't elaborate.

3) Don't forget to study.

5. jbstew32 macrumors regular

If you sign up as a student to be a member of the Apple ADC (http://developer.apple.com/products/membership.html) you pay $99. This entitles you to a significant one time hardware discount (around $500 for a MBP).

It's meant for students that want to learn about and develop software for the Mac. I'm not sure what your major is or if it relates to computer science in any way, or what the actual legal agreement states. I think you have to pledge to make an attempt to learn about development and put some effort in. don't quote me on that though! :)

just something to consider!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Base model is fine; if you want, you can always upgrade to more RAM and HDD space in the future, but from what you're describing right now, specs on base model satisfies, if not exceeds, your needs.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

8. zevot macrumors member

+1 my friend did that earlier it's nice and simple
    and i m so jealous :rolleyes: :(

9. UA412 macrumors member

I did it. It was incredibly easy and I got the 2.4 ALU MBP for $1599($1999 at the apple store). Before I had heard of it I didn't think the MBP was an option and was gonna go for a Macbook. I absolutely love the Macbook Pro and am so glad I got it. It's easily the best computer I've ever owned.

10. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

just a tip: wait the summer to buy it so you can get the free iPod

11. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Good point.

If your not buying till late may...wait until the summer education deals come in.

IF you do, you buy your computer with a education discount, then get a free ipod, which you could keep or sell. potentially shaving off a good amount of money. Since ipod touches are like $230. I know you can get some of this stuff year round, but you get a computer, ipod touch, free printer and a education discount all together.