Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
It's my intent to grab a mbp along with the laptop display sometime "soon".

I know that I can extend applecare sometime in the next year on the laptop. How does that work for the monitor?

As I understand it, if I buy applecare for the laptop at the time of purchase, it will cover the monitor at no additional charge. I haven't seen that on apple's site, but that's the impression I get; is this correct?

Do I get the year of free applecare for the monitor when I buy it with a laptop?

If so, can I wait to extend that year until later, as I can with the monitor?

Is it obligatory to come back and comment negatively on store people after I buy this?

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
Wait at least a month for the MBP.

Wow, so you are blowing $800 on an Apple display as well? Is there some reason for an Apple screen?

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I know that I can extend applecare sometime in the next year on the laptop. How does that work for the monitor?
Same policy.

As I understand it, if I buy applecare for the laptop at the time of purchase, it will cover the monitor at no additional charge. I haven't seen that on apple's site, but that's the impression I get; is this correct?
Yes.

Do I get the year of free applecare for the monitor when I buy it with a laptop?
You get it when you buy the monitor, everything extends one year of purchase date regardless of what it is.

Yes.

Is it obligatory to come back and comment negatively on store people after I buy this?
What?

Wow, so you are blowing $800 on an Apple display as well? Is there some reason for an Apple screen?
Wow, you answered all of the OP's questions. Cookie for you.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009

That is correct. You need to enter the details for the monitor online when you're registering your Applecare for the MBP.

You get a one year warranty with the monitor anyway, so this question is redundant.

As long as you've purchased both the laptop and the monitor at the same time, and they're on the same receipt, you can buy the Applecare at any time within the first year and it'll still work for both.

Yes :D We can't help but get really excited when someone has a negative story about Apple so we can quickly rally around the person and lead them back into the light by offering our own remedies to the situation. :apple:

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
No?
Or rather:
Sure, as long as you provide me with a comparable system to use in the interim.
Contrariwise:
These are not the droids you're looking for.
Yes; explanation is left as an exercise to the interested reader.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Badger^2 is right that waiting is a good idea, even if it wasn't really relevant. Your original posted seemed to indicate you weren't planning on buying tomorrow, if that is the case I'd definitely hold-off until the rumored updates in January/February.

xizar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
There are certain factors beyond my immediate control (i.e., spare school money from my grants and scholarships and stuff) that will "encourage" me to wait.

However, going with the "if you needit, buyit" mantra, my computer is currently a combination of an iphone 3g and whichever box is open at the downtown Seattle Public Library.

Anything that means I don't have to do my computer business next to smelly homeless guys watching lubetube with their hands in their pockets (not hyperbole) is desirable at this point in time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.