MPB DVD drive cannot read/burn certain discs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flowagner, Nov 3, 2008.

1. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

Hi there.

This problem is very strange as I was able to do this before ... kind of suddenly, my MBP (3,1 / Jun 07) stopped burning and reading certain DVD discs. I did not try with CDs but with DVDs, here is my problem:

I have a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E which should burn and read like all DVD media. Strangely, I cannot burn DVD+R at all while DVD-R works fine (at least the last time I checked, it did). Last weekend, I tried to burn DVD+R DL and the DVD drive gave me some weird message that the power calibration of the laser failed.

I successfully burned the discs with my friends' MBP (the previous model) and tried to read them ... but my drive keeps ejecting the discs after like 30secs of reading.

Then I tried to read a previously burned backup CD-ROM, my drive identifies as "blank disc" although other PCs I have show the data correctly and the disc used to work with my mac.

I have a local-bound-like AppleCare thingie with the store around the corner (we don't have an Apple store in Austria) ... do you think it's better to ask them to clean my drive or give me a new one?

Best,
    Flo

2. itcomic macrumors member

if the specification stated that the UMBP (uni-body macbook pro) DVD burner that is capatible with DVD+R and DVD-R disc but it is not doing his job properly.

return and get a replacement until you get a perfectly working machine.

3. flowagner thread starter macrumors member

flowagner

i don't have a unibody MBP: i already said mine was a Jun07 model.

the "more info..." tab on "about this mac" says that my drive should be able to write:

CD -R, -RW
    DVD -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
    Writing strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO