MPB harddrive clicks - is it bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guygenius, Jun 30, 2009.

1. guygenius macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My recently purchased 13.3" MBP has a Fujitsu 160 GB 5400 rpm harddrive ( MJA2160BH). I have noticed that occasionally I hear it making clicking sound. It isnt very loud but audible in quite environment.

I checked the condition of the drive using Disk Utility and the results are good but am concerned that the clicking sound is an indication of bad drive.

Has anybody experienced this issue? Note that I am not talking about high capacity, 7200 rpm drives but regular 5400 rpm drives

Regards,
    Kalpesh

2. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

is it only clicking when you move it? that clicking noise could be the motion sensor parking the drive heads, which is quite loud.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

its probably the sound of the head parking (normal). The sound of a dying hard drive is very loud and repeditive (believe me, you'll know...check around on youtube to get an idea).

4. guygenius thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it makes this sound when its stationary. It might be sound of head parking as RITZfit pointed out

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why is it so loud on the new Macbooks? Is it the case? I had a black macbook and I don't think I ever heard the hard disk park itself, but I can definitely hear it on my 15inch Macbook Pro.

6. 1ne macrumors regular

Thought these only happened on the 7200rpm, apparently not. :eek:

7. guygenius thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to know that there is somebody in the same boat. It is not annoying to hear the sound but I am just afraid that the drive might just give up one day :(