MPB (harddrive?) clicks when moved

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stevemiller, Nov 1, 2008.

1. stevemiller macrumors 65816

I am new to the world of portable computing with a late 2008 mbp. I've noticed though, that there is a small click sound that emanates from the bottom right corner (the hdd?) sometimes when i shift the computer.

Its only ever happened when the computer is moved... so i'm wondering if its like the drive head parking as a precaution against sudden moves, or if my drive is just wonky? They aren't violent shifts, literally i can be simply picking up the computer to move to another room or something.

Thanks for any advice! :)

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

My wife's system does this. Haven't tried it on mine. But yes, it's parking the heads for safety. You'll notice it if you tap the underside of the laptop where the hard drive is.

3. Pneublet macrumors member

That's exactly what it is. I was confused about the sound also so I asked a "genius" at the Apple Store and they explained to me it's just the safety mechanism on the drive. So that sounds means it's working.

4. stevemiller thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the replies, with that concern out of the way i can revel fully in new laptop bliss... i love how this tiny thing runs circles around my giant powermac desktop from several years back!