Mpb Hd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ian-frs, Jan 8, 2008.

1. ian-frs macrumors 6502

ian-frs

I want to upgrade my MBP's HD from 160 to something higher 250+ would be nice. Any idea's on where I can pick up a new drive? I know changing it myself will void my warranty but I simply don't have the time for the apple store to send it off for installation.

2. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

newegg.com
    zipzoomfly.com
    allstarshop.com

All sell Hitachi, WD, & Seagate drives at great prices. I prefer Hitachi and use the 200GB 7200rpm version internally and the 250GB version in an external FW housing.

Installing the new drive does not void the warranty. Apple just will not cover the new drive nor any damage you cause trying to install it. It's not that hard to do, just don't rush, be careful with the fragile ribbon type cable and be patient trying to reseat the case once finished.

Cheers,

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I have a similar setup,.. Hitachi 7k200 internal but stock Fujitsu 120 in an external case from OWC. The 7k200 is a great drive and the price has really come down.

It is a very fast drive and I highly recommend it!

4. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

Seagate...

I just upgraded my MBP from a 100GB drive to a Seagate 160GB 7200rpm... The installation was easy... even for someone who has never installed anything but ram... check ebay... I got the seagate drive for $105 brand new... which seems to be about a $100 cheaper than any of the internet sites... and got to ifixit.com to get the instructions...

5. ian-frs thread starter macrumors 6502

ian-frs

What is the connection type inside of the MPBs? is it SATA? I was on newegg and they had several different types and I don't want to buy the wrong HD and then have to go through the whole return process.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

7. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Not true... Unless you damage the machine during the install, your warranty is fine. They will not cover the drive, but all original Apple parts are covered under warranty.

8. ian-frs thread starter macrumors 6502

ian-frs

What does everyone think about this HD (Samsung HM250JI SpinPoint 250GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - 5400, 8MB, SATA-150) I can get it really cheap at compusa right now since they are going out of business.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68010

nikhsub1

I'm not a fan of Samsung or Toshiba HD's... I much prefer Hitachi, WD or Seagate.

10. ian-frs thread starter macrumors 6502

ian-frs