MPB i5 vs. MPB i7 - worth the extra cash?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JepperMAC, Apr 20, 2010.

1. JepperMAC macrumors newbie

I've already ordered a MPB, but it has not been shipped yet. It's the one with 2.53Ghz i5 processor. I've upgraded the harddrive to 7200rpm and the screen to a higher resolution as well. It's around 2672US dollars in my country.
    To me, that is a huge amount of money, but then i got thinking if it would be foolish if i didn't just spent the extra 270US dollars for the upgraded 15 inch model with i7 CPU and twice as big graphics? That would mean the total price is around 2905US dollars.
    But would that be completely insane? Or is it worth getting the i7 CPU and twice as big graphics?
    Or am i going to be fine with what i've already ordered?

2. Nuak macrumors member

You are going to be fine with the 2.4GHz i5 and probably wouldn't appreciate the small performance advantage of the other systems. Otherwise you wouldn't be asking for advice and your decision would be already made.

If it is a huge amount of money for you, there are millions of better ways to spend the extra cash. I promise.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on what you do but IMO the 2.4GHz i5 is the biggest bang for your buck. Those few extra MHz aren't that important, at least for me.

4. expost macrumors newbie

No it's not. The i5 is the most cost-effective processor in comparison to the i7. Stick with the i5 if you don't do a lot of heavy mathematical lifting. Spend on SSD or more RAM, will deliver more bang for buck.

5. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so i should just keep the one i have already ordered? And not worry about the i7 CPU or the better graphics?

6. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

I would personally get the base 2.4 ghz i5. Its plenty fast. The 2.53ghz is really a waste, its not much faster than the 2.4 ghz..

If i was you, i would have 2 choices.

2.4ghz i5 (recommended for daily use)
    2.66ghz i7 (recommended for heavy use)

Depending on what you do and the budget you have, make a choice.

7. mt229431 macrumors newbie

I'd like an answer to this too. I was pretty much sold on the base 15", but I read a post that said Starcraft 2 will require a 512MB card to run at full graphics. I'd like to get an i5 with the upgraded card, but alas that isn't an option. So is the top 15", with the i7 and 512MB card worth it?

8. modular macrumors regular

i agree the difference wouldn't be that great and you should just go with the i5 if you aren't sure.
    I did end up getting an i7 though - I needed to buy the laptop in-store (tax reasons) and I wanted the high-res anti-glare screen. they only stock the stores with the antiglare in the i7 model. More than the i7 though, i think i'll appreciate the extra vram the most.

9. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

I will throw my hat in the ring for the other side of the argument.

If its a machine you are going to keep for awhile and you are going to be doing processer intense things on it (Gaming, Photoshop, Video, etc) then it might be worth the upgrade.

10. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

I am having serious doubt. But let me put it like this; would you choose
    2.53GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x2GB
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
    SuperDrive 8X DL
    MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display
    Geforce 330 256mb

Price: 2671 USD

Or

# 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    # SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    # MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    Geforce 330 512mb

Price: 2743 USD

11. jozu macrumors newbie

the 1st one for sure

12. Alphakline macrumors regular

Alphakline

Really it boils down to the graphics because that would be the main difference. 256 or 512. Are you a heavy gamer in windows and Maybe Mac soon with Steam coming? If so then go with the 512 which is the i7 version. Also for my preference I would have to have the hi res display as im already used to 1680x1050 with my desktop and the 512 for my games.

13. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Option 2, but with the High Res Screen. If you plan on keeping this for a while, might as well get the most right now. My motto is "Go Big or Go Home". :D

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

The deciding factor is what you will be using it for. In my case I went with a Core i7 with 512 Vram as I do resource intensive 3D Aerospace design. For the average user, what you've chosen is excellent. Enjoy it! :)

15. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Not worth it i5 is good

16. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, but i am having serious doubt.. Really not sure wether or not i should choose the more expensive one. But i really want a faster drive and the better display.

17. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

The timid, cautious and meek should stick with the slower machine. Maybe get a Core 2 Duo at a discontinued/discounted price. Save the i7 machines for the bold, adventurous and brave Mac enthusiasts. :)

Mark

18. Linkzi macrumors newbie

If you are unsure, then get the i5 and save money. If you know you must have the fastest, then the i7. In your case and 90% of computer users, the i5 is more than enough.

19. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

So you're saying that i should keep the i5? I shoul prefer the faster drive and higher resolution, instead of the i7 and the better graphics?

20. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

21. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It would be easier to help if you told us what you gonna do with it. Gaming? Pro apps?

CPU upgrade is unnoticeable for majority of people but faster drive and better res is something that everyone will notice

22. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

As i understand ts said he would play games on it. then the GPU is the main component. if you can afford it go for the top 15" and high res display. that is the best you can get if gaming is the most important for you. but then i would advice not to get a mac in the first place if it is only for gaming.

23. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I was torn between the 2.2Ghz with 128MB graphics and the 2.4Ghz with 256MB back in 2007. The difference was ~$250 if I'm not mistaken. Today I don't regret it at all that i choose the cheapest. The $250 was later on spent upping memory and HD.
    If you have the computer for 2-3 years I think you are better off buying the cheapest model, and in a years time bump RAM to 8GB and buy an new SSD, that will probably cost you the difference between the models. The only thing I would upgrade if it's a matter to you is the screen.

24. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

No I'm not going to game on it, just going to use it for watching movies, listening to music and stuff like that. But once in a while I would like playing a new. And a fairly new one.
    I'm planning on keeping this mac for 5-6 years, so I just wanna make sure I'm not making the wrong decision.

25. chikit macrumors newbie

Stop faffin about and just buy the i5. You don't have high requirements, and you definitely won't be able to notice a difference between the two in processor speed. What you WILL notice is the 7200RPM HDD improvement and the Hi-Res screen. Its a no brainer. Now stop dilly dallying.