MPB MagSafe 1 85W Charger Fake or Not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RobbieTT, Jun 18, 2015.

1. RobbieTT macrumors member

A colleague has thrown some doubt on the authenticity of my new 85W MagSafe charger. His concern is that I did not buy it direct with Apple and that means it has to be a fake.

I have researched as many sites on how to spot a fake and spent some time comparing it with one bought direct with Apple, but have yet to find a difference. As I don't want a fire I thought it best to ask the gurus on here as the nearest Apple Store is over an hours drive away from me.

The Positives:

Has correct Apple logos

Has correct text markings

Correct shade of white and grey plastics

Good pins

Fit and finish no different to original with consistent neat gap lines

Dimensions identical

DC cable has silicone feel

Has the correct straight edged rather than beveled power-in connector (as seen on some fakes)

Has a serial number (MV0420DLZAKXA)

Green power light comes on after a second or so of being connected (rather than instant)

Green light goes off instantly on disconnection (rather than staying illuminated for a while)

Orange light comes on correctly when charging

Does not get unusually warm at the brick

Does not get unusually warm at the L-tip

Weighs exactly 309 grams (10.9 ounces)

Output when not connected of 6.8v

Output when triggered of 16.7v

AC amperage draw in the stated range

DC short protection circuit and power-on reset work correctly

Reports correct data to System Profiler:

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes
    ID: 0x0100
    Wattage (W): 85
    Revision: 0x0000
    Family: 0x00ba
    Serial Number: 0x00199e5f
    Charging: Yes

The Negatives:

Not purchased directly with Apple.

Found (via Google) a single occasion on an Italian forum where the reported Serial Number on System Profiler was the same as mine.

The DC power cable feels a little stiffer than my original (admittedly rather old) cable.

Is there anything else I can do to confirm if this is the genuine article or not?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

All sounds fine. Except the serial number, if you have found that exact serial referenced elsewhere then I suspect that makes it a very good fake.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

It's tough because Apple charge such an outrageous price for their chargers. I wouldn't mind so much if their connections didn't constantly fray, exactly the same thing happens to their iPhone cables too.

4. RobbieTT thread starter macrumors member

It would seem harsh to condemn it just on the Google hit on the hex serial number. Given the premium price I am surprised that Apple do not have a method to distinguish real from fake and I am still hoping there is another method to confirm its authenticity or not.

5. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I actually don't get anything back on that serial via Google UK, US or Italy.

6. RobbieTT thread starter macrumors member