MPB only one fan running? normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freddyfingers, Aug 30, 2010.

1. freddyfingers macrumors member

After seeing the other topic I decided on starting my own as is a different system. Anyhow would the below graph be normal? After doing some research it seems as though the right side fan is running at full speed which is around 6003rpm though in the image its around 5900 something.

I tried ramping up the cpu usage to try and get the left side to kick on but did not come on at all. Which leads me to suspect that it needs replacing.

[​IMG]

I was planning on fixing the screen bezel on this computer and adding possibly a 2nd harddrive. I've got the screen bezel already and the dual=drive caddy that replaces the optical drive. So at the moment just waiting for the 2 750gb hd's to arrive. Anyhow if the fan needs replacing I might as well get everything done while I've got the machine open so does it seem normal or should I replace that left fan?

All throughout writing this post I've been checking the fans to see if the 2nd kicks on but only the left has been running the entire time at either 5998 or 6002 give or take so seem to me as though they should both be kicking on however I do not know.

2. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

My machine seems to be running fine it was pretty hot here a few weeks back where my system would just shut off but I had it on my bed so attributed that to the vents possibly getting blocked. Also MBP's seem to run very hot as is so its hard to tell if its running hotter than normal. Also my new comp the i5 core is coming this week just posted it in my sig or else I'd check that computer but then again its a different system that this one which is the older none uni-body style.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

5. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I think this is how is goes:
    13" model 1 fan
    15" 2.53 model 1 fan
    the rest of the 15" 2 fans
    17" model 2 fans

6. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

this one has 2 fans I replaced one a few years back since it began making a ton of noise which drove me crazy. Just cant remember what side I'm thinking it was the right side since the left you had to remove a cable for the magsafe or airport something on that side anyway.

7. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

A1150

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The 15" 2.53GHz mid-2009 model has one fan; the late-2008 and mid-2010 15" 2.53GHz models both have two fans.

9. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

mines a older version 2006 2007 its not the unibody model.

good to know the newer ones only have one fan though. less costly to repair 1 fan vs 2. Seems to me the left side is burned out in this computer has not come one at all only occasionally it shows a reading of 140rpm while the right side is running near 5800-6000rpm consistently even after SMC reset

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Huh? Of the current models, only the 13" has one fan.

11. freddyfingers thread starter macrumors member

the non uni-body version 15" guess I forgot to mention mine was a 15" I was thinking they only made 13" macbooks and not MBP's
    anyway heres a photo with the 2 fans
    [​IMG]
    http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/jfTTAfCwyiyNGGnG.large

i replaced the right fan as I recall and the left is the original fan which seems to have died. The right is running at 6005rpm right now just doing basic internet browsing with no apps open other than entourage. 6k seems to be running at max speed from my research so the 2nd should kick in but is not. Just ordered 2replacements off ebay so will see once I get those. I figured better to replace both since the working fan is more than likely working double to make up for the broke fan.