MPB or IMac+MB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc macguffin, May 1, 2008.

  1. bc macguffin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 1, 2008
    #1
    as a recent mac widow, I am a damsel in distress, confused and need help

    if there are rumors of new MBP&MB for June, why does the buyers guide say to buy now? Are the changes gonna be huge? what do I do?

    Should I:
    Get another MBP?
    -> buy latest MBP (are the upgrades worth it?)
    -> buy last generation MBP (only 1499 w/stud discount! but miss out on recent upgrades)
    OR
    Get an iMac, Wait and see what happens and later maybe get a (hopefully) new designed MB in June?
    (w/discounts iMac+MB=close in price to a MBP)

    I dont like the current MBs on their own- not enough oomph and hate the plastic- but if MB came w/alum case and I had an iMac, that could make up the difference...

    I just dont want buyers remorse- I understand things are always changing, but last time I bought a MBP, two months later they launched the Intel- that was a big enough change to be very annoying...
     
  2. Killyp macrumors 68040

    Killyp

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2006
    #2
    I have all three machines in the household (the MBP being my own), and I would very very strongly recommend you get the iMac + MB combo.

    Or just save up and get the iMac first, then the MBP later.
     
  3. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #3
    The 2 computer model is fantastic. I've just moved to this (given, with less capable hardware than what you have) and it's fantastic. Can't say how much I like being able to work on a full sized screen and keyboard/mouse!. And it's nice to not have to plug a bunch of usb stuff in everytime I put my laptop down. Isn't the imac more powerful than the MBP? I think you end up working for the better with the imac + MB
     
  4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #4
    My wife and I considered this option when purchasing our MBP.

    In hindsight, a MB and iMac probably would have served us better. I would like a slightly more portable option for classes than the 15" MBP. Additionally, she was recently given a business laptop (Dell 1530), meaning we now have two portables that can be used for animation and video work (which is why we went with the MBP in the first place). It also looks like I'll need to replace my desktop soon.

    I don't know if that helps you at all. I hope so.
     
  5. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #5
    Get both, I really wish I had a desktop right now. They are so much more powerful and the screen size makes all the difference.
     
  6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Britain
    #6
    Yeah get an iMac now, they wont be updated for a while (and the design likely wont be changed for years), then buy a new macbook in June.
     
  7. 7031 macrumors 6502

    7031

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    Location:
    England
    #7
    Get the Macbook Pro.

    I got a Macbook Pro and an iMac. I got the iMac first. I have had the Macbook pro for about 5 months now, and well, the iMac has hardly been used since. The Macbook Pro performs great as a desktop as well. I just set it down and plug in my USB hub and my external monitor. Get dual screens :D.
     

Share This Page