MPB Screens in Sunlight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, May 31, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

hi

i'm thinking of getting a new mbp after wwdc (who knows maybe there's even an update) with led screen.

do you think it's a significant difference when you're working outside in sunlight?

rightnow with my normal lcd mbp screen i have big trouble seeing much at all and hope led screens are way brighter in sunlight.

can anyone shed some light and their experience with led and being outside?

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

3. Theturk macrumors member

On the roof of the building I'm currently located in is a pool and a few tables. I had a big assignment at college and thought I'd go upstairs, work on the tables and watch some babes(at least I'm honest lol).

It was terrible. It was too bright and you really have to focus to know what you are looking at (and its gets annoying after, oh let's say, 10seconds!!)

For me I didn't like it. However, on the campus for example, when I'm in outdoors but not directly in the sun, or the sun is shaded or covered a bit, it's pretty good.

PS : The macbook referred is the new touchpad MacBook Pro.

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

all screens will sruggle in DIRECT sunlight, but a mbp with a matte screen on max brightness should be ok for outside use

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Control+Option+Cmd+8 also works good in sunlight.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Also works well in the dark if you don't want to be staring at a lightbulb.

7. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Wow, thanks, you learn something new everyday. Wish I had known that last night when I was sitting outside being attacked by killer mosquitoes!

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Mosquito's are attracted to light and heat, so if the LED's in the screen didn't get them, then the 60C+ heat coming out would have ;)

9. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

I use my glossy MacBook Pro outside in full sunlight with the backlight off, honestly, it is completely usable with a bit of a green tint.

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I know, the little suckers are attacking me again! By the way, does this prolong battery life?

11. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

what exactly do you mean by "backlight off"? i've seen no such option in the display preferences.

are you referring to keyboard backlight? if yes, but that has nothing to do with the screen?!?

and also, how come the iphone screen is so much more vivid and visible in sunlight? i was under the impression it's using the same kind of led screen as used in computer laptop screens, no?

12. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

turning the brightness all the way down turns off the display backlight.

13. Petey07 macrumors member

i am pretty sure you was focusing on those babes and not your MBP haha jk!

14. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

matte screens are actually worse in direct sunlight. The anti-glare finish diffuses the light making the screen nearly unusable.

Glossy is better in direct sunlight.