MPB Switcher Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fteter, Oct 1, 2008.

1. fteter macrumors member

I'm planning to be a laptop PC to MBP "switcher", patiently waiting and hoping for the MBP refresh later this month (I'm buying at the end of October even if the refresh does not appear by then). Switching for three reasons:

1) No interest in using Vista as my primary OS - it's just a steaming pile IMHO
    2) Sick of the Windows PC product lifecycle (reformat hard drive and reinstall all software every 12-18 months, replace PC every 24-28 months, each OS patch from Microsoft incrementally slows down PC's operation)
    3) Suffering from serious Halo Effect :p I'm so thrilled with my iPhone that I'm now drawn to more Apple products - elegance of design has a greater impact than I ever anticipated

So, with that background in mind, can ya'all offer constructive suggestions for things I should be doing to prepare for the switch from PC to Mac while I'm in this holding pattern? I've hit Apple's on-line stuff that describes the switching process, but I'm hoping for some good tips from the experts here.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

If you use iTunes, make sure you consolidate your library. That way, when you get the new mac, you can just drag the iTunes folder from your PC to your mac (make sure you do that while iTunes is closed though!) :)

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

from my personal experience i just basically went on a bunch of websites, just google switching to mac and different variations, also differences between mac and pc..... also went on websites like macrumors, guides and tutorials on the apple website...

by the time my mac arrived i knew everything about the OS and the computer itself lol. so just keep reading up

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Figure out what you will be using the MPB for and check out the appropriate software. Some software may be available for both Windows and OS X, but you may need to search for alternatives.

For example, you can use iPhoto to manage your photos and for some former Windows users it's a new concept to use iPhoto to organize photos, instead of managing the actual picture files and folders.

Check out http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ to get used to OS X and http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ to make switching easier.

Use MRoogle to search the forums for more info.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

People always freak out when switching, as a relief, it isn't hard and doesn't take much effort. Aside from transferring your files, Leopard has most of the applications people need (iTunes, iPhoto), and for people who use advanced applications such as Adobe, they make an Apple edition of most of those as well. For the ones that don't, you can load a copy of XP/Vista on it. I have to say, Leopard is simple and easy to use. I'm great with computers and knew were everything was in Windows, took me a day to figured it out when I got my first Mac.

6. fteter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the great answers to my question. I'll be hopping on the MBP bus in October...be sure to save me a seat!

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I'm in th same case as you are. To get ready for a flawless switch, I got myself the new iPod nano while waiting for the MBP :p

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I switched earlier this year, when I treated myself to a MBP. Try to get a list of the keyboard short-cuts (I found a nice piece called Tips for MacSwitchers and placed it on my desktop as a reminder). Macs generally have the same functions, only they can be located in places that would not seem obvious to Windows users; obvious examples are the right click, on Mac use contol and trackpad and press both simultaneously, and so o. Likewise, I have also found fora such as Macrumors to be very helpful, both with general information when simply looking at the various threads, and in responding to queries you may have. Welcome to the world of Mac and to the forum, and enjoy your MBP when you get it; it's a terrific computer.
    Cheers and good luck