MPB + Time Capsule - A Time Machine question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mymbu, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Mymbu macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm most likely going to buy a MacBook Pro later this year and I'm thinking about bying a 1TB Time Capsule with it.

Now, I have a small question.

Since I will obviously be bringing my MacBook everywhere i go, it's only going to be connected to the Time Capsule when I'm at home. Would this cause any problems with Time Machine? Or would OS X just think "Oh,well, no backups till you get home"?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Time Machine will only do the backups when your external hard drive is connected. It will not be bothered if you do not do a backup every hour, although it will remind you if you haven't done a backup in several days.

3. Mymbu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering.

I must have slightly misunderstood how Time Machine works then. I thought it was countinously making a backup of how my system.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Time Machine makes a backup of your system every hour. You can browse through your time machine backups from the past, although if time machine does not backup one of the hours then it will not show up. Like if you have backups for 3, 4 and 5PM but not for 2 and 6PM, it will show you the backups that you have, the options for 2 and 6PM will be greyed out because you don't have them.

5. Mymbu thread starter macrumors newbie

That cleared up a lot of things.

Thank you very much!

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

No problem, glad to help :)