MPB vs. Mac Mini (both (mid-2010)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RUGGLES99, Feb 12, 2015.

1. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I have the mini with 4 gb of ram running 10.6.8, and just bought a good condition used mid-2010 MBP with 4 gb of ram, 2.53 ghz, yosemite. Should the MBP be on a par speed-wise with the mini. The mini has a 320 gb hdd, the MBP has a 500 gb hdsd hybrid. I'm awaiting the MBP delivery tomorrow. I basically use the mini as an appliance for writing using Word for the Mac. And will use the MBP the same in conjunction with the mini. TIA

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Mac mini uses laptop parts, so there is little difference in speed between models of the same year. A hdsd hybrid is faster than a regular HD for most things.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Also, the Mac mini is harder to upgrade the disk drive than the MBP. MBP's are easy-peasy compared to the Mac mini.

Can be quite difficult to get the drive(s) lined up properly in a mini (they aren't screwed into the chassis), so that everything else can go back right where it's supposed to on re-assembly, and those tiny cable connecters are very easy to damage or break, usually requiring a new logic board to "fix".