MPB13-2012 freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortenjensen, Aug 13, 2012.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all
    I have a brand new MPB 13'' (latest version) with mt. lion that gives me a frustrating headache.
    Every second time, I try to export a movie within iMovie it freezes. Not with the rainbow-disk rotating; it just freezes and I have to power it down and reboot.

Since it only happens during this operation, I hope it can be solved quite easily.

Coming from windows, my own suggestion is to delete and reinstall iMovie. Is that would you would do as well?

How do i reinstall iMovie?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Morten

2. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Check for updates. If not reinstall OS X with a recovery drive included as a partition in your HDD. iMovie comes al together with OS X.

3. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Does it make a difference if you choose a different method of exporting? e.g. "export using quicktime"

4. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Is that really necessary? To reload all of it for one single program?

Also: I have updated to Mt. lion - is it now the OS installed at the recovery drive?

Morten

----------

Well, I have just tried that once and it did not freeze. Will try some more times.

But I would still like to use the cmd-e dialogue box.

Is it a known problem that iMovie crashes the system?

Morten

5. nangariel macrumors member

It doesn't.

From the Mac App Store, go to Purchases to download and install it.

6. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

When I bought mine it came with my Mac pre-installed. Also it won't appear in the App Store if you purchased a Mac with Lion and then go to Mountain Lion. This happened to me. I can't find it in the Purchases tab/section.

7. nangariel macrumors member

Yes, it comes pre-installed with every new Mac, but it isn't a part of the OS - if you reinstall OS X you need to download iLife separately from the App Store.

You need to accept the iLife apps in purchases for the first time so they get linked to your Apple ID though...
    Not sure why this shouldn't work after upgrading to ML, but if it's no longer possible I guess you'l have to reinstall Lion using the Internet recovery (press option-cmd-R when booting) and accept them before you do the upgrade.