Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Hi all
I have a brand new MPB 13'' (latest version) with mt. lion that gives me a frustrating headache.
Every second time, I try to export a movie within iMovie it freezes. Not with the rainbow-disk rotating; it just freezes and I have to power it down and reboot.

Since it only happens during this operation, I hope it can be solved quite easily.

Coming from windows, my own suggestion is to delete and reinstall iMovie. Is that would you would do as well?

How do i reinstall iMovie?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Morten

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
Check for updates. If not reinstall OS X with a recovery drive included as a partition in your HDD. iMovie comes al together with OS X.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Does it make a difference if you choose a different method of exporting? e.g. "export using quicktime"

mortenjensen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Check for updates. If not reinstall OS X with a recovery drive included as a partition in your HDD. iMovie comes al together with OS X.

Is that really necessary? To reload all of it for one single program?

Also: I have updated to Mt. lion - is it now the OS installed at the recovery drive?

Morten

----------

Does it make a difference if you choose a different method of exporting? e.g. "export using quicktime"

Well, I have just tried that once and it did not freeze. Will try some more times.

But I would still like to use the cmd-e dialogue box.

Is it a known problem that iMovie crashes the system?

Morten

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
It doesn't.

From the Mac App Store, go to Purchases to download and install it.

When I bought mine it came with my Mac pre-installed. Also it won't appear in the App Store if you purchased a Mac with Lion and then go to Mountain Lion. This happened to me. I can't find it in the Purchases tab/section.

nangariel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Yes, it comes pre-installed with every new Mac, but it isn't a part of the OS - if you reinstall OS X you need to download iLife separately from the App Store.

You need to accept the iLife apps in purchases for the first time so they get linked to your Apple ID though...
Not sure why this shouldn't work after upgrading to ML, but if it's no longer possible I guess you'l have to reinstall Lion using the Internet recovery (press option-cmd-R when booting) and accept them before you do the upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.