MPBR won't turn oun out of the box

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yield85, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Yield85 macrumors newbie

Just got home with my brand new MPBR and I can't get the dam thing to turn on? What am I missing here? Hold down the power button, tap the power button.

I feel like I am missing something obvious. I really hope I am because they only have one in the store and I do not have time to wait for a replacement.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Forgive me for the stupid question... But you have plugged it in, right?

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Try charging it first, and no, I am not joking, if the battery is completely drained it will take some time before you can turn it on.

Might have accidentally switched on before boxing in the factory, if this is the case it just needs a charge to start up and no damage is done.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

+1. Sometimes devices will take ages... 5 or 10 minutes, to charge enough to boot up.

5. Yield85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have it plugged in and charging now. I know I should't have panicked right away but I am just so excited to try it out!

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I would be a bit paranoid too.

I think it needs like 10-20 minutes before you can turn it on, you might try at 10 minutes, it won't harm the rMBP.

Btw, iPhones can't be started either when the battery is completely drained, it too needs a few minutes before you can turn it on again.

7. Yield85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Been about 45 minutes and nothing. Bad sign? Or should I wait until it is fully charged before giving up?

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yes, not good.

I don't think it matters now if you wait, you could wait but I think it's probably DOA.
    Are you sure you hit the right button, think you are but you'll never know.

[​IMG]

9. Yield85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep that's the button. Well this sucks, not happy at all This is actually the first mac product I have brought new, usually I buy refurbished stuff but I needed this in a hurry.

10. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yeah, I know how you feel, best way is to call Apple asap and see if they can get you one sooner than later, tell them what you said here, need it fast.

11. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

That sucks , did you try holding the power key down for say 20 seconds or so? Just curious at this point unfortunately your option is only to take it to apple and let them replace it for you.

12. Yield85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Gave it a go and nothing. Luckily I found another one in-stock (brought it from Dick Smith in Melbourne). So I will take it back tomorrow morning.

Again thanks for the help everybody. It was gutting after going through the un-boxing only to have it not turn on.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Good luck with the swap - hopefully the newer model will be defect free. I think we all have that fear - spending lots of money on a great laptop and getting it home only to have it not work :(