MPEG-4 and iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Sdahe, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello,

Now that I'm experimenting with the GoPro Hero 2 camera I have some questions about the edition. I'm using iMovie (since it's already installed in my MBP) but I see that it doesn't work with the MPEG-4 files from the GoPro. It transforms then into .mov files. Then I can export the movie to MPEG-4 but what's the point in doing that... if the files where already in MPEG-4. Is there a way to work the files in the same format from the GoPro or I need a better video edition application?...

Thanks for the help...

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

.MOV is a container. iMovie transcodes your files into a less compressed intermediate codec that enables a more fluid editing.

3. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Ohhhh... thanks!

4. floh macrumors 6502

cgbier ist right.

I want to add: Yes, with more advanced video editing applications (e.g. Final Cut Pro X, Adobe Premiere), you can theoretically edit footage in the original codec with most cameras. But this is really not recommended.

Your original .mp4 container probably contains an H.264 encoded video stream. This will save you a lot of disk space and some transcoding in the beginning if left as is. But it is not what we call an "editing codec", meaning that for frame-precise or effects-heavy editing and for working fast, you would need a really strong computer.

I found that leaving the original codec intact in Final Cut Pro X is okay if I only want to do a very simple edit (like pick out some clips, shorten and attach them and save this). And then I actually use it for the sake of harddrive space. But as soon as I want to do anything a little more complicated, I convert the footage.

iMovie does the conversion automatically for you, and I don't think you can turn it off. Maybe Apple will add that in the next version, since I think the very easy editing (e.g. just shortening a clip to put on youtube) is more likely done in iMovie than in Final Cut Pro.

5. Sdahe thread starter macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Thanks.. I understand now. Very good explenation.

I just download iMovie 11 and it seems very nice for what I need.