MPEG-4 codec issues..?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Finski, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Finski macrumors newbie

Hi,

I just recently bought my first mac (15,4 inch MB pro) (so I'm a true mac newbie) and about a week ago I tried to play a DVD movie on it. The problem is the image freezes everytime the native DVD player window is "on top". As long as I hover the mouse over the dock, for example, the movie keeps playing but as soon as I click the dvd player window or try to go full screen the image freezes but I can still hear the sounds of the movie.

The problem goes away if I play the movie with VLC and that made me consider whether it's a codec related issue since on windows, at least, VLC uses its built in codecs rather than those that come with the OS. So I already have a solution, kind of. But the problem is that some other programs have the same issue too:

I tried to use an USB video capturing device to bring my old PS2 to life on my mac's screen but it has the exact same problem than the DVD player. If I try to watch the captured video stream fullscreen (or keep the streaming window on top) it stops playing.

Does anyone else have these kind of issues? What should I try?

2. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Don't know much about this subject, but you should try downloading perian. This is a plug in that handle all kinds of codecs.

Google perian --> first result.

3. Finski thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have Perian installed already and I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times although I don't think that it's the culprit here anyways since I don't think that Perian changes anything related to the built-in MPEG codecs that come with the OS. :/

I'm starting to think that I might have to reinstall the OS altogether...