Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 30, 2009
Is there a free app that is capable of editing MPEG 4? I used handbrake to rip some dvds so I dont have to carry them around, but one is all out of order. iMovie apparently doesnt support .mp4. so is there an app that I can use to put this movie back in order?

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Is there a free app that is capable of editing MPEG 4? I used handbrake to rip some dvds so I dont have to carry them around, but one is all out of order. iMovie apparently doesnt support .mp4. so is there an app that I can use to put this movie back in order?

imovie does support .mp4, however it may not support some of the other settings you selected in HandBrake. I import mp4 video and edit it in iMovie HD ('06) and '09 all the time.

You might try the h.264 codec with the .mp4 container if you didn't on the first rip.

Gingahippy

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2009
Asheville, NC
MPEG Streamclip?

Not that I know much about all this, I'm up to my ears in new softare, all sorts of pegs, file extensions and questions, but that one seems geared precisley for editing mpegs.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I don't know of any (free) MPEG-4 editor, as the MPEG-4 codec and its variants (Divx, Xvid, H263/4, ...) are not meant for editing, they don't save every frame, which is important for exact frame editing.

I would do it the following way.

Use MPEG Streamclip to convert the MPEG-4 encoded .mp4 file (most probably H264) to a DV file (which uses the DV codec and uses 226MB/min), then import that into iMovie and re-arrange like you want, and then export again, either as H264 encoded .mp4 or as QuickTime and use that .mov in MPEG Streamclip to transcode it again into an .mp4 file.

OR

You could download the Adobe Premiere trial and see if that is able to import the .mp4 file, then use Premiere to re-arrange and export it as you like.

That might save you some encoding processes. The trial is fully working for 30 days by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.