Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AJ's Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Is there something I can use to extract the audio from an MPEG-4 file (iTunes video) and convert it to MP3?

I bought a video just for the music, and iTunes won't let me burn it. I will NOT do that again!! (Thanks Apple!)

I tried ffmpegX, but I'm not having any luck here.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
You could use something like Wiretap Pro to capture the audio. I would guess you'll have trouble extracting the audio in a protected file.

AJ's Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Thanks. I'm not familiar with all the audio/video formats. Just irritating because the song does no good if I can't put it on an audio disk, which I should have the right to do since I paid for it. Nevertheless...

I tried the Streamclip and couldn't figure it out. The second one I'm downloading. If it will do what I want, I'll buy it. I can think of a few other used for it.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks. I'm not familiar with all the audio/video formats. Just irritating because the song does no good if I can't put it on an audio disk, which I should have the right to do since I paid for it. Nevertheless...

I tried the Streamclip and couldn't figure it out. The second one I'm downloading. If it will do what I want, I'll buy it. I can think of a few other used for it.

The non-pro Wiretap used to be free but I think the current Pro will still do what you want using its free trial mode anyway :)

AJ's Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
The non-pro Wiretap used to be free but I think the current Pro will still do what you want using its free trial mode anyway :)
Not any more. I get a message that told me the AIFF file (the only one I tried) will be covered with a "must register" recording. Sure enough, it was. Only, the recording that the software company used sounds horible. If that's the only expample of the finished result, I'm not so sure I'll buy it.

Have you actually used it to do this?

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Not any more. I get a message that told me the AIFF file (the only one I tried) will be covered with a "must register" recording. Sure enough, it was. Only, the recording that the software company used sounds horible. If that's the only expample of the finished result, I'm not so sure I'll buy it.

Have you actually used it to do this?

Hmm. Weird. after a bit of investigation it seems you might need the original version as well for the free recording... that's annoying, sorry! If you could find version 1.0 online and download that, it should work, but you might need both versions installed for it to work in tiger apparently.

I have both installed, just tried using version 1 and it worked fine to record an iTunes music video.

AJ's Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
Well, did a search and found some sites with the 1.0 version, but the links are no longer any good or the server is no longer making it availabe.

So, no version 1.0 anymore.

AJ's Apple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
AJ's Apple, check your PMs, I sent you a link.

It really won't. It just spits outs a second of nothing, at least on the one I tried. The audio in the iTunes file is protected AAC.

That's the same problem I have. The progress window shows the progress bar move to finish on less than two seconds, then dings. But, the finished format has no information (no bytes). I tried it another way and it did take longer, but still no music. iTunes will recognize this one, but there is no time, so there's nothing to play. I have all three whatchamacallits installed. I did exactly as the instruction web-pages indicate. I think you have to just about be able to write the software to use it.

CLM

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2006
That's the same problem I have. The progress window shows the progress bar move to finish on less than two seconds, then dings. But, the finished format has no information (no bytes). I tried it another way and it did take longer, but still no music. iTunes will recognize this one, but there is no time, so there's nothing to play. I have all three whatchamacallits installed. I did exactly as the instruction web-pages indicate. I think you have to just about be able to write the software to use it.

I have the say problem!

Would try to convert a file but all it does is make a file with nothing in it. and takes 2 seceonds to do which is a bit suss?

Does anyone have an idea. im running a powerbook power pc G4.
i even paid that rego on it.

TastyCakes

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/ Switch is a great little app and I use it all the time to make ytmnds. Drag and drop and quick converting to mp3, wav etc.

That should take care of all your needs.

If you are trying to go straight from a dvd it might not work until you rip it. What I do is I rip a dvd with [http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117 Handbrake then import the resulting file into iMovie to make quick cuts and .mov conversion. Then when you export you can choose to just export the sound by unchecking the video box under Expert Settings. Take the .mov sound file and you can convert that with Switch to whatever you need. Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.