MPEG files no longer open in QuickTime

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nfocus design, Feb 19, 2008.

1. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

Anyone else having trouble opening MPEG files in QuickTime? I was able to fine until installing Leopard. The file is not corrupt or anything. I tried several MPEG files and none of them open. I get the following message.

Attached Files:

• mpeg.jpg
      mpeg.jpg
      File size:
      13.2 KB
      Views:
  2. cuestakid macrumors 68000

will the files play in something else like vlc? I have found that some files for some reason won't play very well or at all in quicktime-I would try to use vlc.

3. nfocus design thread starter macrumors regular

nfocus design

Doesn't work in VLC either. I'd like it to open in QuickTime like it did BEFORE I installed Leopard. I can't say for sure Leopard is to blame, but it worked before I installed it.

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I would think that the file got corrupted somehow, if VLC won't open it either. is this an MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 file?

5. nfocus design thread starter macrumors regular

nfocus design

The file is not corrupt. It burns to a DVD and plays fine. I can't open any mpeg in QuickTime.

6. RHD macrumors 6502

Every time I upgrade Quicktime something stops working.
    First I had to re-enable Quicktime Pro to play Flash. Now there is no way to do that and I can't play Flash. I don't want to hear about this alleged security issue. I don't believe it.
    Now MPEG.
    I have stopped updating Quicktime and if I figure out an easy way to intsall and old copy I'll do it.
    Plus newer iMovie versions don't even open .mov files!
    It's mad!

More to the point it's a waste of my time and money.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That's why I asked if it was MPEG-1 or MPEG-2. If it's MPEG-1 it will play fine in QuickTime (I know this because I can play MPEG-1 videos fine in QuickTime right now). However, QuickTime does not have an MPEG-2 decoder unless you buy it (or install it from something like Final Cut Studio), and never has. I would posit that if the file played before, it was because you had a decoder capable of doing so. Does Perian play MPEG-2 files in QuickTime?

8. nfocus design thread starter macrumors regular

nfocus design

It is MPEG-2, but it played fine before Leopard. I am using QuicKTime Pro version 7.4.1

I build the video in Final Cut Pro, then export through Compressor for my final. I always give it a final look in QT before burning to DVD. Sometimes I open in QT and do the share thing so I can email to someone.

9. karnold macrumors newbie

Also unable to view the image in QT on PC XP

Hello,
    I also get a software not found error when trying to view a QuickTime movie...I just deinstalled and reinstalled QT, and still no image, even at the apple site movie trailer has no image, only the sound plays. I am using IE6 on PC XP. It is able to be viewed on my other computers with the same set up. Any answers?

I came to this site via a search, and saw that this problem happened in 2005 also...but cannot find any answers...

10. karnold macrumors newbie

QT/PC problem fixed by using QT Pro

Hi,
    I have figured out my own problem by upgrading QT to QT pro, now the images and the audio plays.

11. nfocus design thread starter macrumors regular

nfocus design

I downloaded the $19.99 QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback - Mac OS X from Apple's site and that fixed the problem.

12. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

13. tominbuff macrumors newbie

I had this problem too!

I had the exact same problem just a few minutes ago - and got the same warning/problem message.
    And the solution sounds so stupid I don't know if I should even post it, but....

The file downloaded as a .mpe file. Tried to open it, got that message you copied into this thread. I manually added a "g" to the end, making it a .mpeg file. Then it opened no problem. Told you it sounded stupid.

14. trentmime macrumors newbie

quicktime won't open mpeg

Yes, I have the same problem in Leopard. Did you figure it out?

15. absurdio macrumors 6502

Maybe related?

We seem to have a common set of symptoms, here. I'm not sure we all have exactly the same problem.

Anyway, like many of you, I find that I can't open an mpeg-2 movie with quicktime. I get the same message: "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file." I don't have the mpeg-2 add-on installed, but I do have Perian. Shouldn't that be sufficient? Perian does specifically list "MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video" among the many, many things it enables in QT.
    I even updated my version of Perian from 1.1 to 1.1.1.

So what gives?

The movie plays fine in VLC, but (sounding like a pouty brat) I want it to work in Quicktime, dammit. And I don't see any reason it shouldn't.

Any help?

16. The Truth macrumors regular

Same problem here, they used to work in Quicktime... then I installed Leopard, now they only work in VLC.

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

save it as a "Self-contained movie" with QuickTime Player.

18. mikew124 macrumors newbie

One of my clients is having the same issue viewing mpeg2 & avi files created on a microscope imaging system on his intel macbook pro running leopard.

Interesting enough I have no problems running them on my G5 running Tiger.

We both have Quicktime pro installed.

I installed Flip4Mac on the intel and got the avi's to open in quicktime but they displayed as black.

Also tried Perian, but no go.

My client is a new Mac convert too, how embarrassing :eek:

Mike

19. absurdio macrumors 6502

1) I have no idea what that means, but I'd love to.

2) How do I save it as anything? Instead of opening, the file just returns that "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file." message.

20. SharonKayf macrumors newbie

MPEG FILES WON'T OPEN IN QUICKTIME on my MAC

Okay, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME - I have loved my IMac until tonight - I just spent a FORTUNE at the Camera shop having them transfer several old VHS tapes and 8 MM film to MPEG files so I can put them on my Mac and edit and make DVDs. I spent hours trying to figure out why QUICKTIME would not open these. I finally bought the PLUG IN at the online Apple Store - something called MPEG-2 video playback for $19.99 - so now I opened one, but IT OPENS IN ITUNES under MOVIES and now there is no sound!!! I am screaming because they are of my grandpa from 20 years ago AND HE IS SPEAKING ON THESE - HOW FRUSTRATING - HOW DO I FIX THIS????? :mad:

21. SharonKayf macrumors newbie

Frickin Quicktime - I Can't Hear The Audio

arghhhhhhhhhhh - I don't want to drag my gigantic desktop IMac through the snow to the Apple store's genius bar. Someone please help - I found these movies and I am so excited. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

22. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Less caps in the future, please.

If it bothers you that they open in iTunes, get info on one and set to open in VLC (or something else), then click the "change all" button (not sure if it's named that, I'm on a different language).

Get MPEG Streamclip and open one. Convert to something that iMovie can handle, if you've got enough HD space then DV.

23. ballistic67 macrumors newbie

I found a work-around...

In VLC, I change the video transcoding method to h.264 and save out the stream as a quicktime file (.mov). Quicktime player was able to play the resulting file.

24. 1307invert macrumors newbie

converting

I recently purchased final cut express 4, and thinking that it would solve all my problems, started to try to make movies. immediatly i ran into this problem, because my HDD camera records things as mpeg 2's. the solution i've found only works for me because in addition to my imac, i have a windows laptop that i use quite regularly. There is a free program called Winff out there that converts video media types. All i have to do is to plug the camera into the laptop, put the files in Winff, set the output to MP4, and set the output file on my flash drive. (you can convert to .mov (quicktime) as well, but the quality of MP4 seems better) That way, i convert, then flash drive the new files to the mac. i still wish i could just cut out the laptop middle man though, as winff does take some time in converting. hope this will help people. However, this only alows me to work with the files in final cut express, quicktime still doesn't seem to like the mp4 format either.