Mpeg Streamclip Compression Settings for Video Digital Download

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by crimsonverbs, Dec 8, 2011.

1. crimsonverbs macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

I have been searching and searching around the net and on these forums for an answer but I am trying to find out what you guys would consider a good format for a digital download of a movie or in my case, a 3 hour educational video.

I am trying to fit the entire 3 hour video in under 2.5 GB file size which is the max allowed to serve so I was wondering if you think it would be better to export the 1080p footage in: 720p @ 50 quality or 480p @ 80 quality?

Does anybody know some good settings in mpeg streamclip to minimize file size without losing quality?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. Kevin Monahan macrumors regular

Regarding compression, the best way is to export a short section (a few seconds is fine) and try the various settings yourself. With a short source file, you can check this quickly. It's the best way to check as most of us have little experience compressing a 3 hr. file. One thing I can say is to choose the H.264 codec for export.

3. crimsonverbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Kevin, thanks for your reply,

Yeah, I know that I have been doing that... I can fit it into a 2.5gb either way.. I just didn't know if bringing the quality down to 60 in 720p was a good idea... Or if I should just go for 480p @ 80 quality. I thought there might be some other compression settings that would be good for optimization...

But what I also want to know is if you where downloading a video digitally to play on your computer... Would you want it in 480p or 720p or something else? What is the standard format for this?