Mpeg streamclip - safe to use many hours at a time?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mcmac17, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Mcmac17 macrumors member

Does anyone know if it's 'safe' for me to run mpeg streamclip converting files for pretty much 8 hours each day continuously.

I only ask because my new mbp 17 fans died within a month and I want to be sure that there's nothing I did to contribute to it.

I have fan control and the mbp runs at 60-ish degrees C with the fans at around 3k.This level of usage is not thrashing it too much is it?

Cheers for any advice.

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

If your fans are dead you need to have it serviced. It is fine to run it if your cooling system is working

3. Mcmac17 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. My fans died so they gave me a new mbp.

I'm just checking that heavy streamclip usage didn't contribute to the death of the old one's fans because I don't want to fry the new mbp!

I assume not - but don't want the hassle of setting up another new machine. I'm used to pc's so I don't know what a mac considers to be heavy usage? I would be surprised if this was too much for a new mbp but thought I ought to check rather than kill another one!

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This is 2009. If your computer can't run 24 hours a day at full load for a month or more, there is something wrong with it.

5. Mcmac17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reassurance. I will continue to convert movies for my ipod as fast as my mbp can cope :)