iPod MPEG4-AAC or Apple Lossless - What do you use?

Which iTunes format do j00 use?

• AAC

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Apple Lossless

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Nah. I don't use any of those. MP3 for teh win!

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • What is AAC, what is Apple Lossless? Who are you? Who am I? :eek:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sirin

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2006
Which do you use for iTunes+iPod+Quicktime, AAC or Apple Lossless?

I use AAC, since it is smaller in file size, and I am not really a hardcore quality junkie, 128kbps is right for me.

Which do j00 use?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I think this topic has been covered once or twice, but since you've set up a poll: aac@128 is more than good enough for me, too... remember I grew up with cassettes, and after that aacs are just fine... even aacs@96VBR (converted from higher bitrate files) are more than adequate for listening on my iPod mini or over AirTunes to my hifi... :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
I use mp3 at 256 Kbps VBR. I had some of my Classical music on there using Apple Lossless, but it didn't mix as well with the others during shuffle mode.

I wouldn't mind using Apple Lossless for everything but I don't have enough disk space, even temporarily, to hold the library.

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
i use FLAC but Applie is proprietary and lame so it doesnt read them. If someone has a plugin for the ipod+itunes to get it to read FLAC i'll fedex you a cookie.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I use AAC most of the time, and move up to lossless for any songs that need it (less than 1 % of my collection).

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
aac160 for my imported CDs.. not sure why since 128 sounds the same on my speakers and the subtle differences that I notice with headphones don't really warrant the extra meg or so the 160 creates. I guess I just like the number better. I also buy from iTunes and 128 sounds great.

The only time I use Apple lossless is when... ;) and that is for archiving only

Sirus The Virus

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2005
Texas
zim said:
aac160 for my imported CDs.. not sure why since 128 sounds the same on my speakers and the subtle differences that I notice with headphones don't really warrant the extra meg or so the 160 creates. I guess I just like the number better. I also buy from iTunes and 128 sounds great.

The only time I use Apple lossless is when... ;) and that is for archiving only
Haha, that's exactly why I use AAC 160kbps. If disk space was infinite, I would use Apple Lossless, or FLAC if iTunes supported it.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
I tend to use 160-192kps mp3s. I like mp3s because everything can play them and I dont have to worry bout trying to remember if everything is in the correct formate when I burn a disk to play somewhere else.

I dont noticed any really diffecne and ACC doesnt play in everything. Mp3 does.