MPEG4 codec for pre Intel Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by infobleep, Feb 18, 2009.

1. infobleep macrumors regular

Hi there

I'm trying to locate an MPEG4 codec for PowerMac, as I wish to include on a CD of MPEG4 videos that I am sending someone. It might also be useful to include an Indtel based codec too. I already have a windows based codec so I assume it must be possible to locate Mac based codecs'.

I find codecs' are useful because users, who already have media software installed on their systems, do not have to install any additional media software just so they can install the codec.

I believe divX may have had such a codec for downloading at one point but now all I seem to get is instructions for downloading the full free software, which of course includes their own media player. I have looked at the VLC Media Player but again that is a media player and not just a codec.

Kind regards

Tim

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there

Does Perian work on PowerMacs? There was some comment on their site about not working with version 10.3, which I think is the OS used by the last PowerMacs.

Kind regards

Tim

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Perian needs OS X 10.4 or later. Intel Macs all have 10.4 or higher, Power PC Macs can run up to 10.5 (not sure about future releases.)

Perian should be fine.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it will.

PowerPCs are using the current version 10.5.6

6. infobleep thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there

Thank you for all your replies. They are most helpful. :)

I will do as suggested.

Kind regards

Tim