Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I know HANDBREAK lets you convert dvd's to mpeg4 files. But I was wondering if there is a program that lets you put your MPEG4 files onto a dvd, so you can watch the video files on a DVD player. Sorry if this has been asked before, I am new to the mac and still learning. Thank you in advance.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you looked at Burn or even iDVD yet?
And MPEG-4 is just a codec, coming in a lot of variants, like H.264, Divx or Xvid and many more.
iDVD will be able to use some MPEG-4 encoded footage if it using the correct container (.mov or .mp4), but Burn is quite handy with lots of formats.

Btw, it is HandBrake, not Handbreak, as it doesn't break anything, it just puts a brake to the CPU.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
sorry about that typo. I'm really new to this burning video stuff. I really never had a computer strong enough to do it until I got with the mac. Thanks for the help!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
If you want your movie files to be playable on any standard DVD player, you'll need an app to conver the MPEG4 to MPEG2 and author the DVD. If this is what you want, I suggest using Toast. Any version back to 6 (perhaps earlier) can do this.

Some DVD players support playing video files in various formats/containers/codecs. A lot of newer players support DVIX, AVI and others. Perhaps your player supports MPEG4. If so, look into burning a data DVD and using the DVD Player to navigate the folders and such.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
yes it is just a standard dvd player, for the entertainment system in the family suv. Where can I find toast?

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I was looking through the manual for the dvd player in the car and it says, it will be able to play VCD and DVD's, so I guess I'll try BURN first. Ahhh I see, thanks for the info, I didn't know TOAST was a roxio product.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
simsalad,

I didn't realize that Burn was that full featured. I'm still running Toast Titanium 7 ... never bothered to upgrade to the newer versions.

Looks like when I upgrade to Lion, I'll be looking at Burn as I don't think Toast 7 will work.

Thanks.

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
I tried dragging my mp4 into BURN and they said they were incompatible files and asked me if I wanted to convert to MPG. So I guess the files that it uses to put it on the dvd are MPG. Is it mpg or mpg2?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I tried dragging my mp4 into BURN and they said they were incompatible files and asked me if I wanted to convert to MPG. So I guess the files that it uses to put it on the dvd are MPG. Is it mpg or mpg2?

Video DVDs use MPEG-2 as codec, .mp4 files normally use H.264 as codec.
Have you tried iDVD yet?

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
^ I haven't tried iDVD yet, I was wondering, so if I use those mp4's on iDVD to make a dvd. I wouldn't have to convert them? They would burn to dvd without having to be converted to mpeg-2?

Nov 28, 2010
located
^ I haven't tried iDVD yet, I was wondering, so if I use those mp4's on iDVD to make a dvd. I wouldn't have to convert them? They would burn to dvd without having to be converted to mpeg-2?

iDVD, if it accepts the .mp4 files, will transcode the footage to MPEG-2, as that is the codec used for video DVDs, which you want to create, unless your video DVD player is capable of playing .mo4 files, in which case, a data DVD will suffice.

Or you could just connect the Mac to the TV: How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

If you want to create a video DVD, you'll need the app to convert to MPG2. iDVD will do this and it seems that Burn is asking the same. Why not let Burn convert?

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
If you want to create a video DVD, you'll need the app to convert to MPG2. iDVD will do this and it seems that Burn is asking the same. Why not let Burn convert?

yea BURN gave me that option, I guess I'll stick with BURN. I wasn't sure if iDVD did the same thing. I thought from what the previous people were saying iDVD doesn't need to convert to mp4 to mpg2. Thanks for the help everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.