MPEGS on iMAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TaGrove, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TaGrove macrumors newbie

Just got the iMAC and working fine. Tried to play an MPEG made on Ulead Video program that played on Windows Media Player and Real Player on the PC. When I try to play on the MAC I get a message that says something like "can't play on this version of Quick Time. I have the latest version of Quick Time. Also have latest version of Real Player for the MAC and I get the same message - Can't play on this version of QUICK TIME (not Real Player). I also downloaded some Windows plug in for Quick Time but that didn't make a difference. Thanks for any help.
    TaGrove

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the windows plug-ins play .wmv in QuickTime.

also if you want try Perian it plays AVI, FLV and MKV in QuickTime Player and any other feature that uses QuickTime like Front Row and iTunes albeit iTunes can only play video with an MP4, M4V, MPG or MOV.

p.s. its spelt iMac ;) -> MAC = Media Access Control & Mac is short for Macintosh.

4. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

Yes, download:
    Perian
    VLC
    Flip4Mac

This should take care of 99.99% of your video media. :)

5. Siberianforest macrumors newbie

trouble getting MPEGs to open on imac?

After downloading the various free plugins suggested here (Perian etc.) to no avail, I finally succeeded in opening this stubborn MPEG audio file by downloading UnRar for Mac. This did it.

Cheers,
    Siberian Forest.

6. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Download and install Perian. I've yet to come across a video which won't play in QuickTime since I installed it...

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Unrar plays audio? :eek:

lol