Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
Anyone used MPix's metallic paper option?

I have a few images I would like to print fairly large and am looking for some feedback before diving in.

Most of the images I would like to print are pretty contrasty and saturated -- you can see them Here

A few examples of types of prints that I would want to try are the three below:

88954879.jpg

76986146.jpg

55143291.jpg

If anyone has tried this paper, I would love to know if you think these are good images for that media.

Thanks

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
oops, sorry about the broken link to the images (a little "image" box is not much to look at :) Hopefully now fixed.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
I've used the metallic paper from Adorama for 8x10 prints, but not from MPix. I would assume they would be the same thing as MPix and Adorama use Kodak Endura Metallic paper.

In my opinion, it gives the picture a pearlescent type of appearance where the metallic material shines in the white or light areas. In natural bright sunlight, that is if you mount your picture near a window, the metallic paper is excellent. If you're displaying it under artificial light, YMMV depending on what type of lighting you have and how intense it is. In low light the whites are more gray due to the metallic material.

Its great for pictures of cars, motorcycles, airplanes & shinny inanimate objects, but for nature scenery or portraits it doesn't work as well. From the shots in the original post - picture 2 would benefit, picture 1 maybe, but I don't think picture 3 would work well and could detract from it.

Your best bet would be to use Kodak Endura Supra Luster.

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I would print the bottom one on the metallic paper for sure. The second one is a toss up. Maybe try, as suggested, getting the second picture in both formats in a smaller size before deciding.

FWIW, I've used their black and white paper, and it is the best of all of them, I think. But I'm not sure I would trade color on any of your pictures. (maybe your first?)

colorspace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2005
I now have the results in hand and they are not quite exactly what I expect, although all three looked good. Overall I would say that (especially in the big prints) #2 benefited the most and #1 the least -- it was bordering on being slightly over the top in terms of the saturation of the gold colors.

Then again I thought all three were slightly to much better than when printed on MPix's normal paper.

All the best for the new year!

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The Kodak Metallic paper option from MPix is excellent. I use it for many types of compositions. I suggest that only your third example shot would look better on the metallic paper, but it really depends on which lighting is used to view it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.