MPlayer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moore1879, Jul 13, 2008.

1. moore1879 macrumors newbie

I have recently installed MPlayer on my mac. I have had only one problem: the playback of video is VERY "choppy" for a particularly large file. I have the same file in .mp4 and .mov. Both files have the same problem, but play perfectly fine in quicktime. Other, much smaller, files of the same format play just fine.

The video will go a few frames forward and then a couple frames back, etc. The audio is fine, but the video kills they eyes. I don't know how else to explain it. I have done several things to attempt to solve the problem, but nothing seems to work. I have tried --cache --cache-min, --demuxer, and -vo. I don't know what else to try and this doesn't seem to be a problem with other platforms.

Before people go into: "Well, I would just use quicktime...", MPlayer has much better command line integration than quicktime and is a better fit with MY programming needs. I would much prefer it if you don't waste my time with posts about quicktime's "superiority."

2. Crown16 macrumors regular

I also have mplayer, i downloaded it cause i wanted to play HD movies(also choppy) but hd movie files can get up to 10gb. what i think the problem is is that de video card cant handle it or somthin not sure. but if you want to play any file that is of reasonable size5gb or somthin it should work fine. I know you dont want to hear this but ill say it anyway. I prefer VLC over any video player. plays near everything and i think quicktime is ****, but thats my opinion

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Have you tried KMPlayer same as MPlayer just slightly different devs.

If HD use Quicktime as it loads the movie up and shows you when it is read unlike the other players.