MPlayerX issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 3bs, Feb 20, 2012.

1. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

How can I make it so that video files always play while filling the screen. Currently I have to press the toggle fillscreen button every time.

I am on 10.7.3 and using version 1.0.13 of MPlayerX

2. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

3. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Did you check mplayer preferences for a full-screen setting?

4. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

There's a setting to have it go to full screen as soon as you open a video file but that's not what I'm looking for. I want it to fill the screen like the toggle button does but I want it to do that automatically instead of me having to toggle it for each video I play.

5. jackrv macrumors 6502

In preferences, under Video, check "Enter fullscreen when playback starts". I just tested it on a few videos and it is working for me.

6. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

It enters full screen but doesn't fill the screen. I still have to press the toggle button.

7. jackrv macrumors 6502

That is odd. What filetypes are you trying to play? I tested mp4 and wmv yesterday. is there anyway you can post a screenshot of the issue?

My videos expand to fullscreen when testing this, except for the normal side letterboxing for 4:3 video and top/bottom letterboxing for aspects wider than 16:9. I get the complete "Full Screen" display with no UI except the floating video controls. The video is resized to fit the screen. I assume you are going fullscreen and the video is staying the same size in a box in the middle?

8. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

.avi files. Here are two screenshots one with fillscreen on and one without.

Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 23.22.47.png

Screen Shot 2012-02-22 at 23.24.09.png

9. jackrv macrumors 6502

I just tried an AVI file (DivX codec) and it worked. Haven't been able to recreate your problem yet :(. I'll poke around and see if I can still, but have you tried un/re-installing it? The version I am using is from the Mac App Store (you can also download it from the mplayerx.org website). I am also on 10.7.3 / 1.0.13.

Not that it should matter, but just for comparison, which Mac are you using? Integrated Graphics or Discrete? Single or Dual Monitor setup? And if not a laptop, which connector are you using to your monitor (HMDI, mDP to an adapter, etc...)? Sorry we've been no help so far.

----------

EDIT:

Make sure the video does not have letterboxing burned in to the video. I was able to recreate your problem with a video that had the top/bottom letterboxing as PART of the video. (Black on top and bottom as well as sides) Then fill screen fixed it.

I don't see an option for that at first glance.

10. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

Later 2010 MBA 11" using it's screen. I opened the same file with vlc and it didn't have letterboxing as you said. Let me try uninstalling and reinstalling. It's ok I appreciate you at least trying :p

Edit: I uninstalled it by pressing the x on the icon in launchpad and reinstalled through the MAS but it didn't work. All my settings were the same and it even started playing the video from where I closed it. Should I uninstall it by deleting it from the Applications folder to make sure everything is deleted?

11. jackrv macrumors 6502

If that doesn't work, try contacting the Author(s) through Mplayerx.org. I did find some optional features at https://github.com/niltsh/MPlayerX/wiki/Some-settings-you-can't-find-in-the-UI , but the only one that looked remotely close is the fullscreen mode one, and I tried that in Extra Options in the preferences and it didn't work :( . It's possible it just isn't a feature (yet).

----------

There may be some preference files still in your Library directory. I don't want to tell you to delete anything from there though... I'm not sure which files are used by MPlayerX.

12. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

On his website he says to report problems to Issue tracker on Google Code but I can't be bothered to use that. Never have before.

I think this started happening with the latest update. It wasn't like this before

13. jackrv macrumors 6502

I agree, it sucks to have to report bugs... but if you don't, you can only hope other people do. For all we know it could be a simple fix in one line of code that he's not aware of.

14. 3bs thread starter macrumors 603

3bs

I don't mind reporting bugs. I always do but I've never used this google code thing