Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galgot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Hi,
I managed to install MPSYT on my 1Ghz Ti running Tiger.
MPSYT is a cool command line YouTube player and downloader :
https://github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube
Problem is on my system it can download , but can't playback. Cause my installed Mplayer is apparently too old. So tried upgrading Mplayer through TigerBrew, but I get :
curl: (51) SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'www.mplayerhq.hu'
:/

Anyone knows how to get a more recent Mplayer version on Tiger ? Note I would rather not install Macports on this system cause i'm only left with 4 Gb on the HD.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi,
I managed to install MPSYT on my 1Ghz Ti running Tiger.
MPSYT is a cool command line YouTube player and downloader :
https://github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube
Problem is on my system it can download , but can't playback. Cause my installed Mplayer is apparently too old. So tried upgrading Mplayer through TigerBrew, but I get :
curl: (51) SSL: no alternative certificate subject name matches target host name 'www.mplayerhq.hu'
:/

Anyone knows how to get a more recent Mplayer version on Tiger ? Note I would rather not install Macports on this system cause i'm only left with 4 Gb on the HD.

Try this one @Lastic cooked up for SMTube:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ew-mactubes-mobile-youtube-installer.2030035/

Incidentally SMTube will work great on your TiBook.

Reactions: Lastic and galgot

galgot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Thanks a lot ! works beautifully :

Roy-Batty-130718.jpg

Note, the MPlayer mega pkg wouldn't install on my machine, no idea why...had to install all packages one by one. But anyways, it's great.
next will try SMTube :)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Can we have more info on this? What is CPU usage like whilst searching? Can you set a preference for files types? Do you have an install package or does it have to be compiled from source?

galgot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2015
Oh sure, sorry :)
well there is a CPU usage (python3) of only 20-30 % when searching and it’s very short.
then a peak to 70 % when start playing, then back down to 10-15 %, while mplayer uses 9-10 % cpu. overall runs quite nice.
never tried searching for specific file type, but if you check help for searching :
h search
there is something that looks like it maybe :
url_file <file_absolute_path> - Retrieve YouTube videos by url or id from a .txt file.
File format : .txt, with one url or id by line.

There is a s…load of setting for downloading and encode your downloads.
Anyways it gives you the choices of the available formats when you want to download.
To install, you need python3 :
brew install python3
then install the setup tools as described at the end of python3 install.
Then use pip3 to install mps-youtube :
pip3 install mps-youtube
you will also need youtube-dl :
pip3 install youtube-dl
Or upgrade it if you already have it, MPSYT can be very picky about youtube-dl version:
pip3 install —upgrade youtube-dl
Then you need a player, this is when you and lastic helped. by default it uses Mplayer, but you can set it to use MPV. never could install it on Tiger tho…

Note , I’ve just installed it on a Tiger running iMacG5, using Lastic’s Mplayer too.
All installed fine, and MPSYT launched, but each searches were giving a SSL certificate error. the solution was to :
brew update && brew reinstall openssl
Run fine now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.