Mr. Anderson And The Wonderful BTO Mac Fun

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So it shipped this evening from Fullerton, CA - I should get it on Wednesday :D

D

2. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Hey man, for what it's worth I order a new BTO mac about every 6 months and haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood). If it helps any, statistically your chances of having another problem are extremely thin. Unless you just have a black cloud that follows you around. In which case I think a MR group prayer is in order.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you'd think I'd have the odds in my favor - but I had them in my favor when I ordered the PowerBook that got stolen - I'm always optimistic - but I never doubt Murphy isn't hiding somewhere in the system....

D

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It arrived and is currently getting files and such transferred from the old G4 - nice thing, though, is that it came with iLife '06.

I just hope everything goes smoothly from this point - I already had to call tech support with an issue with the file transfer....

D

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Let us know how it goes! :)

At least its the right machine. ;)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good luck with everything Mr. A. its about time that things go smoothly for you.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Glad it came on time, and that it wasn't DOA. Did you already get all that glorious RAM? Waiting to test the machine a bit before you put anything in it that Apple might attempt to use as an excuse for any issues? Wouldn't blame you for that, with the luck you've had in the past.

8. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

You're a mod on a Mac support forum and you had to phone Apple tech support? :eek: Why didn't you post here? A few people could have helped :D
    Glad it arrived OK though.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

he did post here. but the Tech support helped him faster :eek:

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Glad you finally got it, Mr. A! :) Hope you get all the kinks out of it, and have a long and loving relationship with it!

P.S. I have a long list of rants to make about getting parcels via FedEx. I just bought an iSight and as usual, I am having insane difficulty. I'm making an exception and asking them to ship it to me office...we'll see how that works out. :(

11. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

exactly! :D

imagine if you had a new Quad G5 and it wasn't being cooperative, would you wait to get a response from some one on a forum? ;)

Anyway - its not a painless transfer - I have to reinstall all the apps - which is fine anyway since I can organize a few things a little better. Basically my G4 is acting up and can't transfer all the data by the migration manager - so I'm left to hand holding.

Bleh

Flash, Adobe CS2, FCP Studio (a beast to install), Lightwave, and another dozen or so little bits here and there. I'll be at it all night.

But, the machine is working, the 2 24" displays look good and the 8 Gigs of RAM are happy - so all is not bad.

D

Attached Files:

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nothings perfect, eh?

but at least its working. glad this time around things went better overall.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Enjoy that big old hog Mr Anderson and congrats, i wonder how long till the quad Intel shows;)

14. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

who knows - and it doesn't matter to me. For a day or so I'll have the fastest but even a year from now or longer I'll have a very nice machine. I've got too much work to do so I'm not waiting any longer on the Intels - besides, the pro apps (FCP Studio) aren't running on the Intels yet.

But having to reinstall all the apps is a pain - then there's mail...bleh

D

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sorry for the slightly OT question:

Mr. A, do you plan to do any Folding on this beast of a machine?

16. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No folding as of yet - although I'm sure that would make a huge difference in my stats :D

We'll see.

D