Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpw

Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Just lately I've recieved a couple of emails from MacRumors members with queries.
No problem there as I'm happy to help when I can but neither query has been specific to any post or particular interest I've made or posted about.
Also both emails came from user accounts set up on the day and seemingly used just to email me as a couple of weeks down the line they've still not posted.
In both cases I've helped with what I can but suggested they post a new threads, as yet neither have.

I'm I missing an email collecting scam?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
The purpose of a forum is to ask and answer questions publicly, so everyone has a chance to learn.

If someone PMs me wanting answers to particular problems, I ask them to post to the forum. If someone persists in contacting me privately for their own troubleshooting, they can pay my hourly consulting rate.

Applespider

macrumors G4
I've had a few emails and a few PMs from people although I do suggest they use the boards so the problem and potential answers as aired.

I'm being helpful in emails/PMs less often these days since unfortunately you don't always get a reply to let you know if your suggestion worked or thanking you for your time.

As far as email collecting goes, I suspect if the query is sensible enough that it's unlikely. There are probably easier ways to collect addresses - it could be a newbie who joined, searched :eek: and then found an old post where you'd helped and rather than resurrect, asked you for clarity?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I've had a few emails too, but I do tend to ignore them. I don't want to seem up myself, but the forums are here for a reason, I'm not some kind of private support. If you have a problem then post here about it here, that way we can all help :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
How strange... I only get PM's propositioning me for hot monkey sex.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
iGav said:
How strange... I only get PM's propositioning me for hot monkey sex.

Yeah sorry about that iGav ;)

Edit: DAMN YOU MUNKLE!! That'll teach me to not refresh the page before posting.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
What I think is REALLY wired.........people have asked me questions about things that I have never been talking about :eek: :eek: Several times.....use PM's and the Forums ;)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I get PMs from people who want me to email them the AirPort Set Up Assistant... Yep, that's right... There was a thread a while back where the poster couldn't download it for some reason so I sent it to him. Apparently the manual says you need the AirPort Express Set Up Assistant (which is the exact same thing) and now I get people who can't find that mythical app, coming online, checking MR, finding this thread and expecting me to email it to them. I've got about four or five replies in that very thread pointing out where they should download it from, yet they continue to ignore it.

Meh, some people never learn to read. :(

At least they're using the search function though. :p

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
mad jew said:
:(

Well, they're using a search function nevertheless. :D

I suppose it's a start...
It's SO true.

I can't say that I've ever been propositioned on this board ( :eek: ). In day-to-day workings up at school, however, (I work in a residence hall) I should buy and wear these shirts every day.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I have been PMed and have PMed a few members for very (at least in my mind) specific questions that I don't feel pertain to anything in a given thread and don't have enough content to justify their own thread because I don't want to start threads that are done after three replies, but drone on for three pages of BS, as I have seen (and contributed :( ) to a few of those.

Also, a few members and I have exchanged some personal conversations through PM about hobbies, techniques for shooting (photography), exchange of data ;), etc.

Otherwise though, in the sense this is brought up in posting in the forums or starting a new thread are much better than emailing someone. A PM isn't horrible in my mind, but the few emails I have received were a little bit strange.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
I have received a few emails for help, and always try to help out when I can.

Sometimes people are too embarrassed to put their queries on MR, or feel that their problem is unique etc - whatever, as long as they are not always emailing me for help, which has never been the case, I do the best that I can.

I have also emailed a few MR members myself for non computer/Mac help, and I'm pleased to say that MR members have always stepped up to the plate. So I'm very grateful that the members of this forum are a great and very helpful group of people.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
No e-mails, but I've been IMed. Kind of related to a older thread. I don't really mind. I'll just ignore them if I don't want to be bothered (like I do with every other form of communication) ;)

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Mechcozmo said:
I have been IM'ed a few times. I don't mind.
I did get some interesting PMs once...
Linkety

That was quite odd to say the least. Glad there doesn't seem to be any PM-spamming going on, at least that I have heard of. Lets keep it that way, we all get enough in email (at least I used to :) )

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
efoto said:
That was quite odd to say the least. Glad there doesn't seem to be any PM-spamming going on, at least that I have heard of. Lets keep it that way, we all get enough in email (at least I used to :) )

Heck, can you blame them? You're one hAWt mama!! :eek: :D

I've exchanged a PM now and again, but have never been spammed by anyone. Not looking to either...

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
a disturbingly large number of my pm's have been about bittorrent...but never really gotten annoying pm's or whatever, just the usual stuff.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
homerjward said:
a disturbingly large number of my pm's have been about bittorrent...but never really gotten annoying pm's or whatever, just the usual stuff.

That would be because the topic of that "tool" is more or less taboo here, as it has very few legitimately applicable uses. Although there are a few things you can get through BT, the bulk are pirated and illegal goods, which aren't discussed here. Once you say you use it or someone sees the icon in your screenshot, you become a target for silent questions, since everyone is afraid to start that thread.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mechcozmo said:
I have been IM'ed a few times. I don't mind.
I did get some interesting PMs once...
Linkety

Did you notice that people from that person's fan club seem to keep popping up here? There was another thread by one of them recently. Or maybe that one was actually the real "Koree." Whatever.

I had to put someone who seemed to have come from MR on block yesterday because they were sending me annoying IMs. :(

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If anybody gets Private Messages or e-mail or IMs from another MacRumors member after asking them to stop, such that you consider it harassment, please contact a moderator. Perhaps we can help by issuing warnings where warranted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.