MR Forum design tweaks?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by JoeG4, May 21, 2011.

1. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Hey Arn,

I know we've sparred about this before, but in the spirit of the redesign I was wondering if you're going to at least tweak the colors of your forum to match. It wouldn't take much.

I've attached an image with some rather simple color changes to show you what I mean: I STILL haven't got around to messing with a vBulletin backend, but I'd imagine these are very trivial changes, compared to the stuff I've done on other forum backends ;)

crib notes:

Borders are all just #FFFFFF on there I believe
    The upper border bg images were replaced with a solid #415a79
    The major category headers are #738192 with a gradient that you needn't use ;)

If you stuck a dummy forum somewhere I'd more than happily dump the changes there for nothing. Just the pleasure of not seeing the generic vBulletin theme every time I visit the site! Bonus points: Anyone willing to donate icons? lol.

Attached Files:

2. celticpride678

Looks kind of cheap to me.

Arn has said that the forums will have a redesign in the future.

3. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

That, I declare the super cheap forum color change :p It required no effort, it just looks less revolting than the current color scheme.

;)

Doing a true forum redesign can take a very long time and cost a lot of money, if it's really good anyway. I would be very impressed if he toned it up a lot but I wouldn't be expecting miracles, lol.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I find it interesting that people get so caught up in the whole color/design of the pages and forum
    Sure, if it was some awful outlandish screaming colors, it would be distracting
    But for me, I never notice, which is prolly the way it should be
    I am far more interested in the content than I am the wrapping paper

5. Garamond macrumors regular

I agree with the thread starter, the site seems kinda half finished now. If the forum itself aren't going to be upgraded, there should be a color adjustment to make it look more professional.

When that is said: what about upgrading the forum software to Xenforo?

6. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

arn has posted that a forum update is on the list, to bring it into line with the new design.

7. Krovem macrumors 6502

Krovem

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He also posted that the site was getting an update…in 2007.

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It did... eventually :p

10. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

I can't agree more. Just a few colors (that blend) so I can differentiate quickly between areas. The content is what I'm here for. Give it to me straight.

Often I have only short bursts of time to read in my favorite areas. I don't want to be distracted by site bling.

Maybe I'm too plain vanilla.

11. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Can I make an additional suggestion...

Ditch the vBulletin 10 year old post icons on the homepage...they just look so ugly. Same goes for the smileys, editors, etc...there are a number of (license free) replacement icon/button sets on vBorg.

12. JoeG4 thread starter macrumors 68030

JoeG4

No, this isn't a startup in someone's living room, this is a professional website. If you walked into a professional office that was charging professional prices (read: large ads all over the place), you'd be expecting a fairly professional office, not lawn chairs inside a portable building.

That is the current state of vBB - they changed a few of the original colors and that's about it - even the new thread/reply buttons are unchanged.

See: http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2008/03/ah0320vbulletin4.jpg

I'm not going to accuse arn of like.. serious badness or anything lol, fairly generic forums are par for the course, and there IS a new theme in the works. Yay! I bet it'll be pretty nice.

Just saying, it is necessary. And I'll be thankful for that lol.