MR Spy feature request

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by sammich, May 10, 2009.

1. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

As an avid user of MR Spy, the only thing that stays open longer than Spy on my computer is probably launchd :D

Anyway, I was wondering if there were a couple of features you could possibly implement? Just canvassing for ideas and feasibility here:

1) A label for when the OP of a thread replies. That way if I was helping out someone I can see immediately identify when they've gotten back, for example. I know there is automatic thread subscription set up and I get that little tick box at the right, but how about an extra little icon for say 'thread starter' or 'OP'?

2) Change the colour of the post entry in MR Spy when you click on the link so I know what I've opened and read. That way I won't keep opening things that I've kept in tabs.

2*) in addendum, how about highlighting each row as you mouse over it?

2*) on mouse over, same thread highlighting

3) I had an idea that was gonna go here, but I've forgotten, but from memory it is probably too much work on the server though.

Thoughts?

2. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Some good ideas in there, but I think the vBullitine software is where the limitations lie... :confused:

I look forward to the comments... ;)

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

2 and 2* are very easy to implement with some simply CSS changes to the template. 1 would involve a little bit of code work, but is still pretty simple, as vBulletin is easy enough to expand. I'd like to see the link colour change after it's been clicked on. Not too bothered about the highlighting or the original poster thing though. :)

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I always thought it would be nice if a thread that you've already replied to pops up, forum spy would show the little "You have replies in this thread" icon instead of just the generic thread icon.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Like this: The icon on the right ...

Attached Files:

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually.... that doesn't show up for me? Do I have to turn that on somewhere?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You do have to refresh Spy after making a first post in a thread though ...

8. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

I really want to figure out what my #3 was to complete my initial post. Argh.

If I can also add same thread/post highlighting when you mouse over, so you can see who else has been replying.

(I want to make a mockup, but is there a way to get the EXACT html representation of a webpage instance? So that the Spy is actually populated?)

Miles, that little tick is, as I believe it, a symbol to tell you that you have subscribed to that thread. You can set the default in User CP > Edit Options (left pane) > Default Subscription Mode. If you just want the tick without the email note, then select 'No Email Notification.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I would like a pause with hover over feature or something like that, it is quite hard to get the right thread if you are on an iPhone.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Is knox still alive? Hard time doing any of this without him...

11. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

YES! It can be difficult on a regular computer too when spy is really moving. *click* "Damn, wrong thread!"

12. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

Who is this Knox fella? MR God?

Thanks for mentioning that, wow Spy is such a pain on the iPhone, I swear I'll tap on the above link about 6 times before I get the one I want.

Next thing is...how to implement something like 'hover' on the iPhone?

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Knox.

He wrote the Spy and MacRumorsLive, plus all sorts of other bits and pieces.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, he's one of the admins.

15. sammich thread starter macrumors 601

sammich

Oh...is there anyone else in these parts that knows how to upgrade the site?

I have another idea, but it's not Spy related: notification of when people quote you?

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

In my opinion this is the only vBulletin addon worth getting. It's perfect for a forum. Not entirely sure why it's not built in..

17. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

hmm now where have I heard that idea before ;)