MRoogle

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Some of you may have already noticed it (well, I know 321 of you have clicked it anyway ;)), I put a little something together to use Google to search the MacRumors Forums; called MRoogle (I know it's stupid, sorry!).

I've pretty much finished it today (while I was at work, when I should have actually been working :D), and I've just put it online.

Take a look and tell me what you think. Are there any other cool features of Google that I could build in to it? Currently you can do All word, Any word, and Exact phrase searches :cool:

MRoogle

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
This is a really good idea. What is the chance it can be put next to the search already in the forums? I don't really know how editable vBulletin is.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
sweet, ill be using it, just out of curiousity, i usually search by thread title, anyway to add that in there or is that only a feature of vbulliten?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Something to bare in mind. Google is only as good as it's last cache of the site. So this will not be 100% up to date, while vBulletins one will. What this will be good for is finding things you remember having seen a while ago, or checking to see if something has already been talked about in the past.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
edesignuk said:
Something to bare in mind. Google is only as good as it's last cache of the site. So this will not be 100% up to date, while vBulletins one will. What this will be good for is finding things you remember having seen a while ago, or checking to see if something has already been talked about in the past.
Thats why I think it should go next to the search already up there (if possible). It shouldn't replace it.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Hmmm. It looks nice, but I'm not sure how accurate it is - I only got 186 hits on "Keira." :p

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
grapes911 said:
And there is only 120 hits though the vBulletin search.
True, but that's threads in the past 90 days that have mentioned her. Do a search by posts in the past year (like the servers need the extra load, I know) and it's at least 500 (that's all it will show).

Perhaps the Google search is also time-limited somehow, or only has access to recent posts, since it started crawling the site.

Edit: e - don't get me wrong, it's a sweet tool to have, especially since it's fast and doesn't bog the servers down using it. And it's a nice "mirror" of the real Google experience. Now, if only it would open the Google results in a frame, so we could continue to enter searches in the MRoogle form.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
emw said:
True, but that's threads in the past 90 days that have mentioned her. Do a search by posts in the past year (like the servers need the extra load, I know) and it's at least 500 (that's all it will show).

Perhaps the Google search is also time-limited somehow, or only has access to recent posts, since it started crawling the site.

I searched with "any date" and get 120. What amy I doing wrong?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
grapes911 said:
I search for "any date" and get 120. What amy I doing wrong?
You are searching by thread, and not by posts. So you get a result of 120 threads containing the word "Keira" even though within those threads could be 10,000 posts referencing Keira.

When searching, have it show results as posts.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
emw said:
You are searching by thread, and not by posts. So you get a result of 120 threads containing the word "Keira" even though within those threads could be 10,000 posts referencing Keira.

When searching, have it show results as posts.
Thanks a lot. I get it now. Today I learned something new. :)

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
edesignuk said:
hmmmm.....possibly, would look a mess though IMO.
Probably right. I guess you need to write something for Safari to replace the Google search bar with a MRoogle search bar ;)

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry to dig up and old thread :eek: but...

Nearly 6 months later, and 6,500 visits, looks like someone must be making use of it after all! :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
Sorry to dig up and old thread :eek: but...

Nearly 6 months later, and 6,500 visits, looks like someone must be making use of it after all! :D
Yes... you've reduced the number of already-answered-but-didn't-search-for-it newbie question threads by... er... are you sure it's had 6,500 visits? ;)

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
How do you say it?

I'm stuck. I want to advertise by word of mouth to all my friends about the greatness that is MRoogle. So is it M-R-oogle? M-Roogle? Or simply a slurred MRoogle, perhaps MuhRoogle?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
It's the only thing I use to search the forums. I have it in my bookmarks bar under the Macrumors bat.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It really should be accompanying the regular search feature so that newbies can find it easier. :)

killuminati said:
I have it in my bookmarks bar under the Macrumors bat.

Please don't fix that typo. :D It is a typo, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.