MRU - Camera Shoot Out (Moto X 2014 / iPhone 6+ / Note4)

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by MRU, Mar 26, 2015.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Just a quick camera shootout between the three devices.

1 a)

[​IMG]

1 b)

[​IMG]

1 c)

[​IMG]

2 a)

[​IMG]

2 b)

[​IMG]

2 c)

[​IMG]

3 a)

[​IMG]

3 b)

[​IMG]

3 c)

[​IMG]

4 a)

[​IMG]

4 b)

[​IMG]

4 c)

[​IMG]

So in all instances.

a) Moto X b) Note 4 c) iPhone 6+

2. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Interesting - I happened to like the last one in all instances and thought it would be the Note 4.....guess I'm biased even when I don't know what I'm looking at!

Still - they are all fantastic photos, though (b) and (c) have the advantage over (a). Nice to see smartphone cameras have improved so much.

3. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I really like this!

I have used the Note 3 in the past and all iPhones and to me the 6+ is easily the best camera I have used in any device.

The video is outstanding and the shutter speed is top notch.

I enjoy your pics.

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Thanks. Yep no real effort made to take the shots - just to make sure that I was framing them all as equal as possible and importantly 1 shot only so that there was no 'selective' picking of best shot.

Just plain and simple shoot out :) But yeah we can argue the toss over which is preferred - but I think the clear thing is they are all remarkably similar taken in isolation that someone would likely be well served by any. I do personally find the wider angle on the iPhone 6+ allows you to frame more in a shot - but other than that - very similar performing.

Good for the Moto X 2014 which is routinely given a very bad rap.

5. kevinof macrumors 6502a

I find with the moto x is that you have to set up the photo carefully. Quick shots and low light shots are really just a crap shoot and invariably produce poor results.

In good light and a steady hand it can get some great results.

What part of Kerry is that?

6. MasterRyu2011 macrumors 65816

Good stuff. I seem to prefer pictures of A.

Keep in mind, if you're including the iPhone 6, please make sure you're not doing any zooming. We all know that the iPhone 6 has less megapixels than others. People can tell which one is the iPhone 6 by just comparing the zoom.

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Near Ballyheigue (North Kerry) - small strand that just most locals use to walk their dogs. In the distance you can see Ballybunion and straight across LoopHead Lighthouse and Co. Clare.

I walk on Banna Strand / Beach each day too.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

Thanks for this. I shall do some comparisons of my own now that I have the 6 plus and the note 4.

I think there isn't a clear winner here between the note and the iPhone. It just goes back and forth.

The nexus is third but the pics are a lot better than I thought they would be.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

No zoom in any shots. Just pointed and clicked.

----------

Yeah I find the differences between Note 4 and iPhone 6+ negligible even factoring in the megapixel differences.

Both great cameras :). Note 4 has fantastic 4k video capture however, but IPhone 6+ has the far better OIS at 1080p

So overall I find them equal and the poor old Moto X 2014 that gets slaughtered for me has been pretty solid camera despite the criticism :)

10. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

The funny thing is that the OIS from the 6 Plus only works in Photos not Videos ;-)

You would get the same results with the normal iPhone 6 because only the digital stabilization does this great job.

11. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I really like the ones shot with the Moto X. They're a bit darker and have a higher level of detail in my opinion. Thanks for this, MRU.

12. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Are you sure about that, because 1080p video motion is much smoother on my 6+ than it was on 6. I had a 6 before the 6+. Is it software stabilisation in video then ? If so it does an excellent job all told.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/08/youtube-find-bicyclist-pits-iphone-6-plus-ois-against-the-iphon/

13. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

What is cinema stabilisation that it mentions there then? A software solution or OIS ?

15. Kiezpirat80 macrumors 6502

Kiezpirat80

It is software stabilization, iPhone 6 has it also.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I like the iPhone, the images seem a bit more saturated and richer. The others seem a tad washed out to me.

17. bgro macrumors 6502a

liked the c's the best on all of them. was suprised at the answers because I always thought based on other tests and actual shots on the phone I've taken that the Note 4 had better results. obv it's all subjective. they all look pretty good imo, just liked the c's the best.