MS Access equivalent on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NovemberPapa, Jan 2, 2014.

1. NovemberPapa macrumors newbie

Hi, could anyone recommend a good desktop DBMS, i.e. something similar to MS Access on Windows? I mainly need it for importing flat files and performing data analysis.

Cheers,
    Nick

2. NovemberPapa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bear. Does FileMaker have an easy to use file import facility and SQL editor?

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Take a look at 4D

More capable than Filemaker. Similarly cross platform. Compilation results in very fast scripting/processing.

Friendly community for help

see http://www.4d.com/uk. Version 14 will be available for general trial in a few weeks, v 13 will give you a pretty good idea.

4. pitabox987 macrumors member

From memory FileMaker's import features are quite easy to use, and yes I believe it has an SQL editor (I'm not 100% sure), though I know there are a number of external SQL editors also designed to integrate with FM.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Broad term which can be defined in many ways. I do data analysis with queries of tables with over 10MM records. More specifically, this analysis involves manipulating tables (using multiple joins) to obtain a desired output. If you need something like that, your best bet is Oracle (or something similar) with a powerful SQL editor.

If you need to do something basic (on the level of MS Access), then you should look into FileMaker. If you prefer to go the SQL route (like myself), you can use MySQL with SequelPro (free) or SqLite (probably the closes to Access in terms of SQL coding). You can also try OpenOffice (I believe they have something similar) but extremely ugly and useless for anything advanced.