MS Access woes

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by justgeig, Feb 24, 2012.

1. justgeig macrumors member

I am desperately trying to convince my boss to let me use a Mac instead of a Windows machine.

The last major hurdle is the fact that our multi-user company database is based on and ran through Microsoft Access 2007 ... a big problem considering that there is no such thing as a Microsoft Access for Mac. The file is multi-user and everyone access it at once and makes changes so converting the data to Filemaker does no good since we don't own copies of Filemaker and I will have a hard time convincing the boss to spend that much on licenses when we have a working solution now that is already installed and comes as part of Office.Suggestions?

Options that are not feasible:
    boot camp: the database needs to be accessible in the middle of work flow and rebooting to look at it and then rebooting to work is not an option.

fusion or parallels: boss doesn't like Mac. Giving him ammo against the OS X by saying "Hey, let me run Mac just so we can buy a Windows license and run it ... but on a Mac!" Not going to fly with him.

Filemaker: The file is multi-user and everyone accesses it at once and makes changes so converting the data to Filemaker does no good since we don't own copies of Filemaker and I will have a hard time convincing the boss to spend that much on licenses when we have a working solution now that is already installed and comes as part of Office.

I REALLY hope someone has already solved this particular bug in using a Mac in Windows dominated workplace.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If none of the usual options are not acceptable, you're stuck with Windows.

To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.

For more information about running Windows on your Mac, check out the Windows on the Mac forum.

3. justgeig thread starter macrumors member

so ... it's as I feared?

No other program can view an Access back-end?

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Actually MS Access is great so I think you should keep your existing solution. Otherwise I would think about a MySQL database with a PHP programmed interface.

5. justgeig thread starter macrumors member

I've certainly got no beef with Access...the problem is that it doesn't exist for Mac.

I have considered learning SQL just so I can learn how to build a front-end that's cross-platform...THAT's dedication to running a Mac lol

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If I still had to use Access I would most certainly keep a windows box around or dual boot on my Mac.

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Correct.