MS Apps start MUCH faster in Vista than in OSX

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by elgrecomac, Mar 17, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I just installed Vista and MS office 2007 under fusion. The MS Apps start up MUCH faster than the MS office 2008 under OSX. MS must be caching a large amount of the apps once Vista starts. Has anyone noticed equally fast launch times for non-MS apps under Vista?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

office 2008 is a bit bloated and opens only a little quicker than office 2004 on my Intel Mac and its universal.

wait until your registry in Vista becomes bloated then it will startup slower and apps will take longer to launch.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I noticed when Office will slow the boot time of Windows. Perhaps they load some key components so that fast startups with Office is possible. I am not sure if Microsoft really knows how to develop apps for the Mac. Perhaps the developers are not given the training needed or they are suppose to have it crippled on purpose to show that Windows is superior.

4. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Registery bloat

I hope it never gets bloated...I only need to use Vista on an as-needed basis for work. No more apps will be installed under that OS.:eek:

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

This is exactly the case. Microsoft preloads many of the Office components upon Windows booting to give the illusion that Office apps open really quickly. You can manually disable these preloads, and when you do, you'll notice that the apps load much slower and approach "Mac-Microsoft" speeds.

6. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

It's not just MS Office where this happens with. Many of your most commonly used programs are cached over time.

As far as the registry being bloated. I'm using the same install of Vista since February of 2007 and it's still just as fast as it was when I installed it from day one. I usually run registry cleaners and other system maintenance programs, like Spybot, virus software, Adaware.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I notice this too.
    Office 2003 boots way faster on my VAIO Vista Business machine than my 24" iMac Al with Office 2008. In fact Office 2008 takes forever to open on the iMac.

8. f1 macrumors 6502

well not surprising that an MS app launches faster in an OS designed by MS. Just like iTunes and safari launch much faster in OS X than in Windows.

9. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I find most apps are faster to start in OSX, and just a few start faster in Windows.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you time the process from power on to application usability, you'll see a different story.

Windows spends an inordinate amount of time booting. Plus, although it writes an interface to the screen quickly, it isn't really usable for some seconds (or many seconds) after that. If you try to click or type, you get put on hold while the hard drive thrashes a bunch more.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Add Quicktime.