MS Band 2

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by sjleworthy, Oct 3, 2016.

1. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Hi chaps, cant justify an Apple Watch, so a fitness tracker like ms's Band will more than suffice :)

question - can i use it straight from the box without any support from a mobile phone and a computer? (ie, i havent got a mobile phone to even initial things).

I guess some of the data reviews and email/call options will be limited without, but can i use it purely independent from a phone? all i want is a general on-the-go readout of my fitness.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Did you already buy it? If so,return it. The band has a known flaw where over time the plastic band will crack and you will have wasted your money.

3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I thought that was the MS Band one?

4. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Band 2 as well, it seems. I misspoke, though, it's the rubber band that tears.

5. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yeah they never fixed it in Band 2.

Microsoft is apparently giving up on the Band. Mary Jo Foley and Brad Sams think there won't ever be a Band 3, and they are winding down production of the current models.

I wouldn't buy one today. A fitbit would be a much better alternative if you don't want Apple Watch (or can't have one, because it doesn't play nice with your chosen smartphone)

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Here is the senior Microsoft Vice President for Surface products (he's on the right) wearing an unreleased Surface band from a video shot this August:

7. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

That's just a white version of Band 2.

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Not if you look closer it isn't and they never made it in white. The Surface Band 2 and 1 are still the best 'smart bands' anyone has made so far. It seems the majority of the medium size bands have had problems so a bigger one should be more resilient, if the prices drop again it could be a real bargain.

9. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Ok, but what is your point? ...that because a senior VP was wearing an unreleased band in August that... the Band is NOT discontinued?

Panay demonstrated custom "blades" when the Surface 2/Pro 2 were announced and said they would be available soon. They never materialized.... that was over 3 years ago.

10. sjleworthy thread starter macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

No, i have not yet bought one, and will wait imminently to see if the Band 3 is released first.

But to answer my original question, can i open one straight from the box and use it without a phone from day 1?

11. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I think you need a mobile phone to run an app for it? That's how most of these things work including the Apple Watch, you can change settings on the device but really they are designed to extend from a phone. Do you have a tablet at all?
    If the Band 2 drops in price it may be worth grabbing, but as others have said the band does seem to split reading the forums, more so on the medium size. Another device worth looking at could be the Samsung Gearfit 2, seems to be the closest to the Surface Band for features.

12. LouisLoh macrumors regular