MS Courier cancelled

Discussion in 'iPad' started by The Doop, Apr 29, 2010.

1. dojoman macrumors 65816

1 down 0 left? HP Slate will suck and JooJoo is just crap.

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Is it wrong that this makes me feel warm inside?

4. jlasoon macrumors 6502

Did anyone really believe this would actually come to fruition?

5. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

6. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Nope! Even if it did, that thing would've had a kazillion software issues, guaranteed.

7. DKatri macrumors 6502

I really liked the idea of this. Its a totally different idea from anything else out there. Not even a direct iPad competitor IMO. I wish M$ decided to keep pushing with this rather than pushing slate computers which are gonna suck.

8. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe they should be putting more $ and time into the ZunePhone?

10. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

The timing seems coincidental with HP's acquisition of Palm and the Web OS.

11. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

More like they’re going to copy the iPad with a Windows Phone 7-based tablet device — ZunePad.

12. undrpsi macrumors regular

+1 on Surface...which is waaay cool...

I think HP buying Palm was not only a way for them to get <back> into the smartphone market...but also a way to get a mobile OS (with an app store and a built in user base)...the 'ah-ha' moment will be if they re-tool the slate to take advantage of it...THIS may be something to watch for.

Now, if Android could get it's house together and get a competing tablet going we may see a lot of innovation in the next 12-18 months.

13. Cander macrumors 6502

My thoughts pretty much. They are just diverting resources to a Zune Pad probably. Or Surface Mini.

14. tacoshell macrumors regular

My dad was visiting my cousin who works at Microsoft and played chess or checkers on this in one of the break rooms there. He was wondering if you could buy it, and I looked into it and it is priced for 'business' like to be sold to bars or service industry, not in the range of the consumer. I had been thinking about it, and with all the cool chess / checkers games out, and more coming out, I could set this up for him using an iPad on a table, or even build a simple holding platform for it. I will demo it on mine next time I am up there and we'll see.

15. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

This mean Bill will change his opinion of the iPad from "Ok" to F'in Awesome? :D

Steve

16. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

I'll go out on a limb and say that Microsoft never had intentions of producing the Courier. It was simply to inject FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt about a future superior Microsoft product) in the wake of the iPad announcement.

17. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I don't like the iPad being alone. the more "iPhone Killers" there were the more Apple had to innovate. I don't believe they wouldn't innovate otherwise, but a bit of competitive push can only help.

18. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I wonder if MS is trying to sow some FUD and publicly pretend there is no market for something like the Courier while behind the scenes they madly scramble to come up with something, anything to stop the bleeding. It will be interesting to look at Netbook vs PC vs Mac vs iPad sales 6 months from now and see if people are choosing iPad over netbooks. If there are still lines and waiting lists this fall and Apple is scrambling to meet production targets approaching tens of millions, then I would say the netbook market just got sucked down to the 13th circle of 7734.

I'm a netbook user who enjoys using my iPad a lot more than my Acer Aspire One. My iPad is lighter. My iPad has longer battery life than my AAO despite the fact I got the 9 cell battery for my AAO and run Linux with power saving patches. There are a number of things I can't do on my iPad yet that I can do on my AAO like Gimp and Openoffice but I wonder how long I'll really have to wait for apps of this caliber? iWork is already awfully close to openoffice and there are dozens of graphics editors out for iPad already, and the thing hasn't been on the market a full month yet.

So I think the cancellation of Courier might be a red herring from Redmond, sending the message "We're not worried about that." At the same time Bill Gates is going around saying "It's Okay" when secretly he is crapping his pants.

19. Lotus Esprit V8 macrumors regular

Over time it will come down in price and be available for the consumer market. I can remember when cell phones had to be mounted in your car and cost $1500.00 and were just phones.

Look at what we have now.
    It is called the Free Market and Capitalism at work.

20. tacoshell macrumors regular

Absolutely, Google totally lit a fire under Apple's ass with the Android phones, and I think we will really benefit from that in the new iPhone coming out. A good Android Tablet / iPad war would benefit everyone involved.

21. hariustrk macrumors member

Competition is good, it keeps Apple from resting on thier fannys.

22. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

when will people learn that competition is good, otherwise it'll take 3 gen to get a freakin' camera on the ipad

23. sracer macrumors 604

sracer

When will people learn that it is GOOD competition that is good, otherwise bad competition simply confirms that Apple made all the right decisions with the 1st gen.:rolleyes: