Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
I have a hard drive that a re-formatted from its stock setting, MAC-OS Extended (journaled), to MS-DOS (FAT) so I could use it with something that needed this format to be readable.

Now since re-formatting it to MS-DOS (FAT) it works with most files but some files don't work. I then re-re-formatted it back to its original MAC-OS Extended (journaled) settings and all the files that wouldn't work now work. So the files are of course fine, but I can't get them to work when its formatted to MS-DOS (FAT).

Is there any program or interface that will allow this to work better?

I only have access to a Mac and am not going to install Windows or Parallels or anything like that.

Help is much appreciated. Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
  • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
  • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended)
  • Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read/Write HFS+ from Windows, Install MacDrive
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • exFAT partitions created with OS X 10.6.5 are inaccessible from Windows 7
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
OS X tends to be rather rude when writing to DOS formatted disks. For instance, it leaves a lot of bogus files lying around like .ds_store, and ._ files like ._somesong.mp3 which tends to confuse mp3 players because the . files are nothing but preference files that are not needed in other OS.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
OS X tends to be rather rude when writing to DOS formatted disks. For instance, it leaves a lot of bogus files lying around like .ds_store, and ._ files like ._somesong.mp3 which tends to confuse mp3 players because the . files are nothing but preference files that are not needed in other OS.
It's no different than Windows creating thumbs.db and folder.jpg files that mean nothing to Mac OS X.

aldo818

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
South of France
For an macbook air with 256 GB drive and about 20 GB used how much space should i calculate for time machine to backup.

When i make an Hfs+ and a fat32 partition with disk utilities does hfs+ need to be the first one in order that time machine runs?

harryhood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
How big are the files to won't work on the FAT32 drive and what are they called?

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB

God damn it. The files that won't transfer over are each bigger then 4GB. So what the hell can you do to get around this? I am trying to copy media files (movies, music etc) onto this hard drive to use on the new Oppo BDP-93. In the manual it says it only supports/reads FAT32 HDD's so what are my options?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
God damn it. The files that won't transfer over are each bigger then 4GB. So what the hell can you do to get around this? I am trying to copy media files (movies, music etc) onto this hard drive to use on the new Oppo BDP-93. In the manual it says it only supports/reads FAT32 HDD's so what are my options?
According to page 42 of the OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray Disc Player User Manual (PDF Format):
Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32 or NTFS (New Technology File System) file system.
Install NTFS-3G on your Mac (link in my earlier post), format the drive to NTFS, and you're set.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I only have access to a Mac and am not going to install Windows or Parallels or anything like that."

If you are "only have access to a Mac", then there is only ONE file system that you should be considering, and that is a Mac OS-based filing system.

Anything else is playing with fire.

Why would you even consider using anything else?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
"I only have access to a Mac and am not going to install Windows or Parallels or anything like that."

If you are "only have access to a Mac", then there is only ONE file system that you should be considering, and that is a Mac OS-based filing system.

Anything else is playing with fire.

Why would you even consider using anything else?
Did you read the thread?
I am trying to copy media files (movies, music etc) onto this hard drive to use on the new Oppo BDP-93. In the manual it says it only supports/reads FAT32 HDD's so what are my options?
Supported USB drives can be formatted with the FAT (File Allocation Table), FAT32 or NTFS (New Technology File System) file system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.